Fuel recommendations

I've always run the hi-test in all my bikes. I tried the regular grade but they pinged with it. The new alcohol laced gas seems to work OK in the 650s but I try to get the no-alcohol fuel whenever I can. The bike seems to like it a little better.
Ethanol sort of is both good and bad, unfortunately mostly bad.
The good thing is that pure ethanol actually has a higher RON/ MON rating than even premium EO pump gasoline (race gas/ avgas is another story) In fact, "flex fuel" turbo charged cars give more HP on E85 than on even 99 RON V-Power.
The main bad side is that ethanol causes corrosion, damaging plastic and rubber components, and being hygroscopic. The other negative is mainly affecting carburetted engines, as they run lean when using ethanol mix. However this should be pretty easy to fix with some carb jetting/ fine tuning. Fuel injected engines with a lambda probe will automatically correct fuelling, so no issue there.

I can drive 40 minutes to fill up several 5 gallon cans of Ethanol Free gas. Its 90 Octane. If I am out, I'll use 93 octane. Over the winter, definitly store w/ Ethanol free but I tend to still take each bike out every 3 weeks in the winter when its dry, no road salt and 40F or higher. I have some back roads that are 35mph speed limit so I'm not getting as much wind to chill me.

Ethanol free gas is no longer available in Ontario and probably all of Canada since last April for highway use on account of the fed's Clean Fuels mandate.
I didn’t know that. 🤬, disappointing news - how did I miss that? I guess I better get my water jugs out and make me some.

We still may be ok up here in Ontario. I’m going research this further.

E763ECDD-864C-4465-A4F6-649C1422FD59.png

Stepping back into this conversation, I'm realizing that I am wrong in thinking the Chevron 94 in BC is still ethanol free. It isn't and I understand we can't buy any ethanol free gas in Canada any more. Beyond the chemistry experiment in the driveway with highly flammable fuel next to my wooden garage and house, does anyone have any experience with additives/fuel conditioners to reduce or eliminate the potential damage to our fuel systems due to water, etc? I've read about StaBil etc but is this BS? I've now got 7 carburetors on 3 bikes and am a bit concerned about them sitting too long without use. My DR650 isn't even insured right now.

I'm in BC and have had no trouble with any of my engines. Lawnmower, snowblower, weedeater, motorcycle. Most years I put some fuel stabilizer in them before I put them away, not always. Just fired up my DRZ400 yesterday. Battery was a bit low but it fired up and ran like a champ. I have had to replace fuel lines over the years, but I've always done that. No noticeable fuel issues in my neck of the woods.

Back