Gas engine breakthrough?

They’re certainly both very nice looking cars but when the new M4 was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show a couple years ago I sat in it and noted immediately that the car is smaller than the M3 (my Miata is a 2006 M3). Smaller isn’t necessarily bad, but I also had an M1 (the original pop-up headlight car that was built from 1990-1997 - there was no 1998 model) and it was indeed a very small car.

Nonetheless, it does have just about everything you need for every type of driving from commuting, to long distance touring, to autocross (and boy, is it good at autocross). I relocated the spare tire from the trunk to below the trunk floor (this requires a simple exhaust system modification) and the car became an excellent and economical traveller for two people.

The M1 interior is small but comfy and the only real flaw I could find was that the interior lighting is absolutely laughable. From the factory, there is one postage-stamp sized light on the RH side of the tranny tunnel which provides excellent illumination of the passengers left knee (and nothing more). If you NEVER drive at night, I guess that doesn’t matter, but I took some very long trips in my M1 and loved driving it but trying to read a map, find coins for tolls or locate something in the car was a massive PITA. The Miata aftermarket is extremely active and this problem is very widely recognized. I added a second postage stamp light on the LH side of the tunnel and more importantly, a rear view mirror/map light unit - and the car became just about perfect IMO.

The M3 (2006-2014) is a somewhat larger and better equipped car with more power and perhaps a bit less dedicated sports car character. Don’t get me wrong, the M3 is wicked fast on a twisty road, but it has power windows and mirrors and an interior that doesn’t make a so many calls on your tolerance, patience and back muscles. The one flaw with it is that the trunk opening is too small for a standard golf bag - which is significant flaw for a car intended for summer use in the North American market. They did this in the interests of body rigidity (smaller trunk and door apertures = stiffer structure), but they could have done it another way at minimal cost IMO.

More to the point, on the newest M4 model, Mazda has, in my view, made the mistake of reverting to a much smaller and more sparse interior and in particular, they have seriously boobed by not providing ANY glove box on the passenger side. The only interior storage is the centre console which is pretty tiny and a tip-forward box which is over the driver’s right shoulder - where it is inaccessible by the driver while seated in the car (unless you’re a contortionist) and certainly not very usable, even by a passenger, while the car is in motion. Even the cup holders are back behind your shoulder - how the heck anyone could use them is beyond me.

This may sound like nitpicking, but I’ve owned two of these cars and other sports cars and have put more than 500,000 km on them and I have found that being short of shortage places to keep your sunglasses, coins, parking access cards, maps, phone chargers and other stuff - does begin to wear on you after a while.

Anyhow, I’m sure the new M4 goes like mad and it sure is pretty!

Pete

Last edited:
Fiat dealership support is failing all across the country at an alarming rate. Sales figures are dismal. Dealerships are closing left and right.
It’s the 1970’s all over again. But this time Fiat doesn’t stand for Fix It Again Tony.
I’ve got 60,000 miles in my little 500 and it just goes and goes. Very reliable.

Yup, they seem to have nailed down most of the build quality and reliability issues which seemed to plague the brand in past days. Too bad really, because some of their models are really nice.

They’re certainly both very nice looking cars but when the new M4 was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show a couple years ago I sat in it and noted immediately that the car is smaller than the M3 (my Miata is a 2006 M3). Smaller isn’t necessarily bad, but I also had an M1 (the original pop-up headlight car that was built from 1990-1997 - there was no 1998 model) and it was indeed a very small car.

Nonetheless, it does have just about everything you need for every type of driving from commuting, to long distance touring, to autocross (and boy, is it good at autocross). I relocated the spare tire from the trunk to below the trunk floor (this requires a simple exhaust system modification) and the car became an excellent and economical traveller for two people.

The M1 interior is small but comfy and the only real flaw I could find was that the interior lighting is absolutely laughable. From the factory, there is one postage-stamp sized light on the RH side of the tranny tunnel which provides excellent illumination of the passengers left knee (and nothing more). If you NEVER drive at night, I guess that doesn’t matter, but I took some very long trips in my M1 and loved driving it but trying to read a map, find coins for tolls or locate something in the car was a massive PITA. The Miata aftermarket is extremely active and this problem is very widely recognized. I added a second postage stamp light on the LH side of the tunnel and more importantly, a rear view mirror/map light unit - and the car became just about perfect IMO.

The M3 (2006-2014) is a somewhat larger and better equipped car with more power and perhaps a bit less dedicated sports car character. Don’t get me wrong, the M3 is wicked fast on a twisty road, but it has power windows and mirrors and an interior that doesn’t make a so many calls on your tolerance, patience and back muscles. The one flaw with it is that the trunk opening is too small for a standard golf bag - which is significant flaw for a car intended for summer use in the North American market. They did this in the interests of body rigidity (smaller trunk and door apertures = stiffer structure), but they could have done it another way at minimal cost IMO.

More to the point, on the newest M4 model, Mazda has, in my view, made the mistake of reverting to a much smaller and more sparse interior and in particular, they have seriously boobed by not providing ANY glove box on the passenger side. The only interior storage is the centre console which is pretty tiny and a tip-forward box which is over the driver’s right shoulder - where it is inaccessible by the driver while seated in the car (unless you’re a contortionist) and certainly not very usable, even by a passenger, while the car is in motion. Even the cup holders are back behind your shoulder - how the heck anyone could use them is beyond me.

This may sound like nitpicking, but I’ve owned two of these cars and other sports cars and have put more than 500,000 km on them and I have found that being short of shortage places to keep your sunglasses, coins, parking access cards, maps, phone chargers and other stuff - does begin to wear on you after a while.

Pete
Pete,
You should have been the person to write the Wiki page on the Miatas !

I can't imagine giving up my 2002. Its got everything I need but a bit more hp, maybe. 80k and going strong, tho I'm already planning for an engine rebuild, if needed eventually. At 250k.....or 400k.:)

I pamper it like it was one of the XS's. You are all invited over for lunch; I'll set up sandwiches on the intake manifold. No need to put down placemats.

engineMX5 008.JPG

Pete
Interesting how this Golf Bag issue is a widespread concern (I no longer play the game, but was a Putt-Putt champion as a child:D) .
I had a 2006 350z, with its tiny trunk interrupted by the chassis stabilizer. Had a hard time getting a few six-packs in there, but they did provide a how-to diagram on the rear lid showing how to get your golf bag in. Hilarious.
2005-nissan-350z-touring-coupe-trunk.jpg

G37_9-L.jpg

Still think there is mileage in petrol engines, how about laser ignition? This has been written about for some years now but I'm not sure if any of the manufacturers are using it. Or perhaps do away with spark plugs altogether as Mazda propose?
How about the camless engine? Or here.
There will be other technologies as well.

I remember that it wasn't that long ago in the UK we were all being encouraged to switch to diesel engines as it was better for the environment.
These engines have now become pariahs and we are being encouraged to go electric.

How long will it be before it is decided that electric is also a bad ides and that xxxxx* is really the way to go.

* insert your choice of alternative motive power here.

I am confident that the introduction of electric cars will happen, but I am equally confident that it will take much longer than the “Popular Mechanics” pseudo-engineering crowd is presently predicting. Coupled with autonomous cars, the electric vehicle has generated more bovine excrement than nearly anything else in recent history except...ooooppps, sorry, no politics. :rolleyes:

The average age of a car on North America’s roads is over 11 years at present - and so the replacement rate is much slower than most people realize. That’s just one reason why the “e-introduction” is going to take a long time. The other reasons are the cost of batteries, the lack of charging infrastructure and the performance of electric vehicles in terms of range, size and towing capacity.

One indicator was that I saw a newspaper headline the other day announcing the construction of a Tesla Supercharger vehicle charge station somewhere in the Midwest. When was the last time you saw a national headline announcing the construction of a gasoline or diesel filling station? As I said, electric vehicles are coming - but as long as construction of a fueling facility generates a headline, these cars will remain somewhat of a novelty and not a mainstream product.

While many advocates argue that the overall life cycle cost of an electric vehicle is lower (and it may very well be), the fact is that most consumers simply don’t make decisions on that basis. They look at initial purchase price - and an e-car that costs $35+K but cannot make it to Gramma’s house on one charge, or tow a boat, or carry a mob of kids and camping gear, simply doesn’t cut the mustard for most people.

Last edited:
I am confident that the introduction of electric cars will happen,

You may well be correct but will this be because of political expediency (going green(er) = votes), dogma (I believe it to be true therefore it is) or other reasons?
Politian's are not renowned for letting facts get in the way of their ambitions.

While many advocates argue that the overall life cycle cost of an electric vehicle is lower (and it may very well be),

According to this paper that does not appear to be the case. Whilst environmentally less harmful whole life cost is higher.

I suspect that in the future the cost differential will narrow but also (assuming i.c. motors continue to be developed) so will the environmental advantage that EV's currently have.

I am confident that the introduction of electric cars will happen, but I am equally confident that it will take much longer than the “Popular Mechanics” pseudo-engineering crowd is presently predicting. Coupled with autonomous cars, the electric vehicle has generated more bovine excrement than nearly anything else in recent history except...ooooppps, sorry, no politics. :rolleyes:

The average age of a car on North America’s roads is over 11 years at present - and so the replacement rate is much slower than most people realize. That’s just one reason why the “e-introduction” is going to take a long time. The other reasons are the cost of batteries, the lack of charging infrastructure and the performance of electric vehicles in terms of range, size and towing capacity.

One indicator was that I saw a newspaper headline the other day announcing the construction of a Tesla Supercharger vehicle charge station somewhere in the Midwest. When was the last time you saw a national headline announcing the construction of a gasoline or diesel filling station? As I said, electric vehicles are coming - but as long as construction of a fueling facility generates a headline, these cars will remain somewhat of a novelty and not a mainstream product.

While many advocates argue that the overall life cycle cost of an electric vehicle is lower (and it may very well be), the fact is that most consumers simply don’t make decisions on that basis. They look at initial purchase price - and an e-car that costs $35+K but cannot make it to Gramma’s house on one charge, or tow a boat, or carry a mob of kids and camping gear, simply doesn’t cut the mustard for most people.
Yup, check out my posting #13 in this thread:
tesla-supercharger-fast-charging-system.jpg

It was in Lenox, PA, as I recall, and there are 3 more in PA. Two in New York State. The infrastructure is coming along, slowly.

I'm holding my deposit for the anti-matter/plasma hybrid. 0 to 60 in negative 3.8 seconds. It's gonna be so fast that,
as the old blokes used to say, you can bite yourself in the arse goin' round a tight corner.

:D

Last edited:
Those are already available - and also, CNG, H2, ethanol, methanol, and all manner of other hydrocarbons.

That is neat - very innovative!

I noticed that the little girl in the sidecar wasn’t wearing a helmet. Surprising.

I noticed that the little girl in the sidecar wasn’t wearing a helmet. Surprising.

You need to remember that this was filmed in late 50',s or early 60's Britain where 'safety' had not yet been invented and the wearing of crash helmets wasn't compulsory
When I was a lad I used to be wedged in beside my Mum in the sidecar. Other than the sidecar frame there wasn't any protection for the occupants so it doesn't bare thinking about what would have happened in a crash. Nor do I remember Dad wearing a crash helmet.

Back