gear selector questions

hank2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Finally got transmission dismantled to start ground up rebuild. I have 2 gear selector mechanism questions. My 3 gear selector forks seem awful sloppy on the gear selector drum. I can find no dimensions in my Haynes or Chilton manual. My drum is 1.402in and the forks around 1.448in. Is this amount of play normal? My other concern deals with the cam followers. My parts diagram shows a cam follower roller on the end of the cam follower pin. Mine has just a follower pin. I've never run this bike and do not believe is has been tore down. Its a '79 special. Any help appreciated. Cheers!

I just rebuilt my bottom end and there was a lot of play with the forks on the drum, but everything tightened up real nice once the input and output shafts were dropped in and the cases were tight. I have an '81 and also only had a pin, no roller. Not sure what year that changed because it showed the same in my Haynes manual but I do know it's right because I took it apart and it worked fine before.

Yep, on this type transmission the fork guide bar guides the forks. On other (smaller) bikes, the forks are fitted to the drum closely and the drum is also the guide...

Thanks pwizl. I've rebuilt a few engines over the years and could not remember how much play was in the drum. The bike was beyond being ridden when it was given to me so have no idea how it shifted. Internally it does not look abused. You have also eased my mind on the pins. You would think the manuals would mention a change to just pins. That is where this site comes in very handy! Cheers!

Back