Going from kickstart to electronic. Do I need an ignitor unit?

AHOTHOMAS0

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm switching my bike from kickstart back to an electric start. I don't know however how to wire the ignition coils. Here is one of them in the photos. I don't see an ignitor unit anywhere. Can I make it work without one?

Attachments

• 20220403_174142.jpg
    20220403_174142.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 78
Electric start and ignition are actually two different systems. Neither one is connected to or dependent on the other.

So... as far as your iggy system goes, those are coils for a points system... it's old school and doesn't use an igniter box. Are there points installed under the left cover?

Electric start and ignition are actually two different systems. Neither one is connected to or dependent on the other.

So... as far as your iggy system goes, those are coils for a points system... it's old school and doesn't use an igniter box. Are there points installed under the left cover?
Only wires I see look like alternator wires. Where would they go into?

I also got this too, it was on top of the engine

Attachments

• 20220410_122442.jpg
    20220410_122442.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 68
Left chrome cover on the head. Let's see what's under there.
Give us a pic of the right side also....
... and the left cover on the bottom end... the one with YAMAHA cast into it.

The points would be under the little chrome cover on the upper left side of the motor, just above the spark plug .....

LZFH.jpg

Remove that cover and you'll see the points, if you have them .....

StockPoints.jpg

Back