Green Reg/Rec Wire Jump to Ground, Rideable?

PAPAFOXTROT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 81 XS650H with the Regulator/Rectifier all in one. I have had charging problems ever since I bought it. Motor runs great but leaks some oil out of the clutch push rod seal (have a new one to replace). I have not thoroughly checked the grounded wires but my rotor is fine reading at 5 Ohms between rings which means rotor is good. Brushes are also good length.

My head light never worked but when I bypass the regulator w/ a jump from the green wire to ground, it works. As I rev the engine up to 3000rpm the voltage at the battery terminals jumps to around 14.5V. Last summer I would ride it around and it died on me 6 miles from home so I let it sit, cool down and unplugged the brake light to get home.:doh:

I am looking to ride the XS from one location to my garage to work on it (roughly 20 miles). I will make sure all my connections are clean and mated with some dielectric grease as well as checking all grounds.

My question is can I ride it with the reg/rec bypass with the green wire grounded without doing detrimental damage to the battery/charging system?

I plan on using a battery from my 95 FZR600R to bring with me in case the XS battery dies on the way. I also plan on removing the 81 xs650 reg/rec and installing the Chrysler Regulator and Radio Shack bridge rectifiers like many have done. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Paul

It will probably overcharge or overvoltage the battery. When you hook it up that way for test purposes you need to be careful to not let it go above around 15v.

I had a problem with the charging on my own '81 until I re-crimped the brown wire lug on the connector to the reg/rect. It senses that wire to know what to do with the green wire.

Last edited:
Ya, xjwmx is correct. You need the regulator to work correctly as to not fry the battery. Which could cause a real problem, like it blowing up. The regulator tells the alternator what to do. Battery below 14.5v, send power to charge the battery. At 14.5v, ground and send power thru the harness.
I would fix it correctly before you fry the system completely. Bypassing should only be used for testing, not operating.
Start by going thru the wiring completely. Checking the whole system for bad wires, bad grounds, bad connections, and dirty connections. Breaking down in the middle of an intersection is bad news.

PAPAFOXTROT,

If you are only going to ride 20 miles, then I would disconnect my horn and connect the green wire to the horn button wire so I could turn the rotor on and off as I ride down the road with the horn button. Use about a 33% duty cycle, like, on for a minute, off for two minutes. Experiment with the duty cycle before you take the 20 mile ride.

If you are really brave, you could do this at night and just keep an eye on the brightness of the headlight.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Today I'm going through all connections and grounding points. Also will be checking voltage drops at connectors and diagnosing my issue completely before heading out.
Pamcopete: That sounds like a logical way for me to act as a manual switch regulator. Breaking down is definitely bad news. When I was learning how to ride 4 years ago I ran out of gas at an intersection. Let's just say that will never happen again.

If only going 20 miles, charge the battery up, unplug the reg/rec and ride it to where your going, the battery should last long enough for that.

thanks. luckily I had the battery charged up and made it to my destination with my "pit crew" in tow with an additional battery and tools just in case. I was praying it would make it there the whole way hahaha

Back