Gudgeon circlips.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What other circlips can be used for the 20mm XS650 piston pins? Diameter is not a problem obviously, 20mm is 20mm. I got some in the mail that are a lot thicker than the stock circlips, so, I'm reluctant to use them.
Same for points, any other 'popular' bikes use the same points? Don't want to make another backing plate unless absolutely necessary.

I remember using plastic {Teflon?} button circlips on a couple of old unit construction Triumphs. I don't remember having trouble with them, but it was a long time ago.....

tim

As far as I know, the 650 points are specific to that model and not used on any other bike. Just be aware that there were two versions, and two different points plates that went with them. The early version used from '70 to '73 has a smaller oval mounting hole and will only fit the early points plate .....

Early-10Points.jpg

The later '74 - on points sets have a larger diamond shaped mounting hole and will fit all the points plates .....

LatePoints2.jpg

There is a small difference between the part numbers used on the two sets. The early set ends with the number 10, later set with 11 .....

Late-11Points.jpg

Back