Handlebar throttle question

MFJustin

Welcome to Thunderdome
Reaction score
Picked up a set of 7/8" grips from monster craftsmen. The typical set that most other online retailers carry. Left side grip and right side throttle and grip. The left side grip slid on easy enough with some hairspray which will dry and make it stick.

My question though is in regards to the right side grip/throttle assembly. Of course it's supposed to rotate so I put nothing on it but some grease to help it slip on easier. I've got a set of ape hangers from TC Bros that these are going on. The grip/assembly will slide on the bar but will drag and will not rotate smoothly like a throttle is supposed to do. I tried this assembly out on my spare set of drag bars and it functions exactly like its supposed to. Anybody else have something similar like this happen, a throttle assembly that doesn't rotate smoothly on a new set of bars. I'm thinking maybe I should sand down the bars some and see if it works smoother but I'm not entirely sure if that's what's causing the problem.

Gave it a pretty good look over. Don't see any bends or irregularities really. I'm going to try sanding some of the paint down tomorrow and hoping for the best haha.

Oh. I didn't know they were painted. Yeah try sanding down the paint and see if that helps. Man,that paint most be pretty thick.

Had this same problem dozens of times on 1" bars. Sometimes too much chrome stops the throttle sleeve from turning smoothly, other times the end of the bars are slightly bent or misshaped. To rectify this in the past I have had to remove some chrome or just gently grind the bar back to round. My guess is you have too much paint on there.

I had the same problem with a set of "black chrome" bars from Mike's. Turns out the black chrome was black powder coat. Everything was tight, the throttle would barely move and the clutch perch scraped the paint all the way on. Mike's changed the text on the part to black chrome "look" after I bitched about it.

.....or you've pushed it to far on and the end of the bar is rubbing the inside end of the grip.

I wish that was the case, would be a quick "smacks forehead" fix haha.

It starts getting tough to slide on about a 1/4 of the way through, I'm just going to sand some of the paint off and hope that it fixes it.

I wish that was the case, would be a quick "smacks forehead" fix haha.

It starts getting tough to slide on about a 1/4 of the way through, I'm just going to sand some of the paint off and hope that it fixes it.

Have you got anything like maybe grease you could smear on the bars? Then as you push the grip on you could give it a bit of a twist and when you take it off it should leave some marks showing you where it's tight. Sanding the paint off at this point will save you sanding loads of paint off randomly ;)
The right thing to smear on there would be some engineers spotting blue but the chances are you won't have that to hand!

Took my angle grinder with flap disc and lightly went over the bar end to remove some paint and any imperfections I couldn't physically see. Throttle slid right on after that.

Back