Harbor Freight wheel balancer mod. Marc Parns

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Well guy's, I live right between 2 Harbor Freight stores. Between the 2 stores I looked a no less than 6 wheel balancers. There was no way I could bring myself to buy one. And I wanted one bad.

The first store I went to said they were expecting more in the next day. They got 1. Since it was the best of the bunch I took it. Of course it has the bent shaft. Easy enough fix though. Get a drill rod.

While I was contemplating what to do I decided I might try a Marc Parns set up. But it just looks to precarious on some of the stuff I've seen it set up on. So I decided I might combine the two.

I know you can set up the Marc Parns on anything. I'm not even sure that I even going to get the MB set up. But if I do, I'm going to mount it a little different.

Which way do you guys think I should mount the brackets. I like them boxed in a bit, as in the first 2 pics. It might save the set up from getting bumped off the stand. Marc likes it like in the last 2 pics. It's probably really just tomato, tomoto. Either way will work I'm sure. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• wheel stand 004.jpg
    wheel stand 004.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 144
  • wheel stand 005.jpg
    wheel stand 005.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 130
  • wheel stand 007.jpg
    wheel stand 007.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 138
  • wheel stand 008.jpg
    wheel stand 008.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 136
I don't think anyone needs a wheel balancer. Use Dyna Beads and your balancing needs will be well served. You can't statically balance a tire/wheel better. And you don't have those ugly weights to fall off.
Now if you want to use it as a wheel truing stand then go for it. I don't think it matters if the brackets are up or down but the down look better to me.
Leo

Back