18 inch or 16 inch rear wheel

tmikeyb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm working on an XS2 that I bought at auction last year. Generally I prefer originality in all of my bikes and other vehicles. But this bike has a 16 inch rear rim laced up to the original 72 hub, and I need to decide whether to reuse the 16 inch or replace it with a more original style 18 inch rear wheel. I know that some of the later XS650s came with 16 inch rear wheels on them. So, I'm really interested in the pros and cons of the actual ride and handling differences between the 18 inch narrower rim and the wider 16 inch. Either way, I need to buy a new rear tire, and I just need to decide which to buy. Interested in your experiences, and opinions.

I had a 16 inch on a 79 Special, and my 80 Special II came with a 16, which I switched to a 18 inch rear wheel. I didn't notice much difference between the two. I think the 16 tire had a taller profile than the 18 does, so the circumference of both are maybe the same or close. I think the transmission ratios and the overall gearing is the same on both bikes, so that makes me think there isn't much difference. The 16 probably has a little more tire contact on the road compared to the 18 because the width is wider. I like the look of the 18 better myself. Just my 2 cents.

Can you post some pics. From what I've heard. There is not that much to be gained by going to the 18" rim on the Specials, but visually, it's hard to imagine the 16" wheel on the XS2.

Can you post some pics. From what I've heard. There is not that much to be gained by going to the 18" rim on the Specials, but visually, it's hard to imagine the 16" wheel on the XS2.
I'll take a couple pics tomorrow. I realize that it's a little unusual having a 16 inch rim on a 1972. That's just the way that it came to me.

Back