Hardtail terminology??

ogh11756

Project Hound
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Relatively new to the forum, have been lurking around here educating myself.
Lots of great guys with tons of experience based knowledge here.
I recently got two xs650's, a 75 & 77 and going to start a hardtail bobber project.
I understand the stretch part of the hardtail but am not sure i understand the drop part.
Is it seat drop from original height? Or is it something else?
Want to go with a voodoo mk21 or tc bros.
I am also going the PMA route and will eliminate the battery for kick only.
Would like to rephase but dont have the cash for that at the moment.
Thanks in advance for the education i am about to receive. :cheers:
Owen

OGH Wy do'nt you trade your fames for newer Special frames. Uncut Standard frames arw in high demand. I am sure someone here would trade. But they are your bikes and you have the choice to do as you please. Good luck with your project. Tony C

OGH Wy do'nt you trade your fames for newer Special frames. Uncut Standard frames arw in high demand. I am sure someone here would trade. But they are your bikes and you have the choice to do as you please. Good luck with your project. Tony C

Tony, What is the advantage of a newer special frame?
Or is it just considered sacrilege to chop an older & rarer frame?
I would horse trade if advantageous for me.

Since the Standards are harder to find in un cut form, they are sought after for restorations. Hugh on this site stated he would trade a special frame for a Standard. I would do the same but I only have Standards. The advantage for you would be a rear disc brake if you prefer mag wheels. The 1976 and older had 34mm forks and newer had 35mm forks. Like I said it is yours if you want to cut then cut away. It only increases the value of my Standards. Tony C

Lets see if I can answer your question. Stretch is how much longer the wheel base gets. A 4 inch stretch moves the rear wheel back 4 inches. I think you have this.
The drop is in ride height. The stock ride height is about 5 inches. A 2 inch drop will leave you with about a 3 inch ride height. It will also drop the seat height about that much too.
Leo

Back