have to pay fees for yr's bike wasn't titled?!

Explorer352

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all
Noob to forum here. A friend of mine has an '81 xs he's going to sell, and i am really thinking about buying it. The bike has been sitting in his garage (not ridden) for ~10yrs and hasn't had a current lic. plate (tagged) for the last 2yrs. Called the tag agency (aka dmv, sec of state) and they said it there would be $200 to get it 'caught up,' then $45 for the current tag. :banghead: They expect me to pay for the time it was sitting un-tagged in SOMEBODY ELSE'S garage?! :wtf: It's not currently running, but he had it serviced pretty much every spring, just never rode it.

Has anybody else run into this before? Those of you who have long-term resto projects etc- what do you do?

Oh, and I live in oklahoma

i could see them charging the registered owner for keeping the plates, usually you are supposed to turn those in.. but you should not have to pay that.

Ya, I think that would fall on the actual owner at the time. I know in some states they will "flag" you if you failed to return the tags or let a registration run out, but not the new owner.

The tag agency said that the fee used to cost $.25 for every day it was without current tag/plate. Then they bumped the fee up to $1./day for a total of ~$200 that would have to be paid by whoever wants to get a tag/lic. plate. They said something about the $200 being waved if i can prove it needed to be over-hauled. What's that mean? That all i have to do is get a quote from a bike shop saying it needs major work? How does the tag agency know what constitutes a bike needing to be overhauled?

The fee isn't for not returning the plate, it's for not keeping the tag current

I used to live in Oklahoma and it sucks to deal with the DMV there. It has always been that way, but then they raised the daily price and it sucks even more. I would talk to a bike shop about it. They may know how to get around it. You are supposed to black tag a vehicle if will not be used so that you won't have to pay the penalties. Oklahoma finds every way possible to screw you out of your money. Now I am in Michigan, and my bike was out of date for two years, and I thought I would have to pay the back charges but I didn't. I was shocked. I hate Oklahoma.

I grew up on Tulsa and got an Okla Drivers license back in the mid-70's. I joined the servise and sometimes it was a hassle to go back every other year to renew it. Then I got smart when I got stationed in AZ. Paid $12 for a license good for 25 yrs. Or was it $50? Either way it was a freakin bargin. I'm good til 2021!

yeah my bike hasnt been reg. for 12 yrs, an its gonna cost me 14 bucks wed. when i go to get the tags, michigan.

I thought you were going to say you lived in Sillyfornia. But I agree she just told you what the out is.

(b) Waiver of penalty available for inoperable vehicle; procedure. If an applicant provides parts
or repair receipts and an Affidavit of Inoperative Motor Vehicle (OTC 758) declaring the vehicle
was inoperable, the penalties (on both years) may be waived. The repairs must be of a substantial
nature and the required documentation must be attached to the request for waiver.
http://www.tax.ok.gov/rules/rule6010.pdf

Here's the form Shouldn't be to hard to have a big enough bill from Mikes XS to meet the "substantial" requirement.:wink2:
http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/758.pdf

Last edited:
take off the carbs, coils, gas tank, front wheel (all quick and easy) and take it to the shop to get a qoute. it will definitely pass as needing too much work, have them price it out on mikesxs as needing all new parts.. gas tanks are like $400, carbs $200 i think..

How close to the border do you live? Have any friends that live in the next state? Use their address to get the bike titled in the other state, ride a year then take the other state title back to OK and title it there.
Leo

they do that shit in georgia too. if you have a vehicle that hasnt been tagged for a few years they back-charge you when you go to get a tag for it. guess they assume youve been driving it around illegally.

Back