Header Wrap

another question about pipe wrap. I really didn't want to wrap my pipes. BUT! I have really fargled the welding on one side where I had to lengthen one of the pipes. So not only does it look like ass, but I'm pretty sure there may be tiny fissures still and/or maybe a pinhole. Heck I KNOW of one hole - I can see it, but every time I go to try and fix it I get another hole. (hate that sound it makes when I blow through while welding, like a real gentle "pop")

So, would the pipe wrap provide a functional seal for tiny holes while the bike is running, so that at least the exhaust system would function correctly - as opposed to having the equivalent of an exhaust leak halfway down the pipe?

The plan eventually is to have forum member Scott make me a set of pipes, but wondering if for now I could go forward with the pipewrap as described above. Or would that not provide a temp fix?

thanks!

No the wrap is not going to solves your pinholes. To be honest, you just need to practice more so you can fix them correctly. Its all about welding technique and machine setup. Am I to assume you are MIG welding? or gas?? Arc? which?

MIG. (with CO2)
I guess I just need to replace that section - again. I found that if I put the welder on a real low setting (a or b) I can sometimes get a nice weld with good penetration and a nice fully melted flat weld. But then for some reason, with nothing changed, the next weld will suddenly be bad again and just spitting with no good penetration. Was wondering about creating a "patch" out of a section of 1.75 in pipe I have from an old Sportster exhaust. If I could get it to bend 3/4 of the way around and somewhat fit the radius of my 1.5 pipes and weld it on....
Anyway, thanks for the input.

Here's another question: if I bought a section of 1.58 OD pipe would that be a size to just slip over 1.5?

MIG welding isn't always holding the triger down continuously. Many, if not most, of the times you keep the trigger pulled just long enough to create a puddle, then let off. You keep doing this over and over, stitching the metal together. I can fill anysize hole or gap, just a matter of it being worth the time verses making a patch. This comes from many years of welding, I even taught it. The point being, it can be done, just practice. Experiment with hear settings and wire feed. Typically for what you are doing, you want the hear as low as possible, but remember, on and off.

ok, thanks, much appreciated. I have tried doing it that way you described. Saw a couple of videos on YouTube which show that method. I guess there's no substitute for practice though. Unfortunately by the time I'm done practicing, this set of headers will be trash.
Live and learn!

Back