Wrapping the Viking Headers on a Rocket III

Boog

Traveling Stroyteller
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, many of you know that Brahma had a heart transplant this January. The Viking exhaust system I put on awhile back has unprotected headers and I have burned quite a few holes in my pants. Well, since my old tune on the wore out engine was lean and discolored the chrome horribly, and my mistreatment of the bike in general by keeping it outside all its life, the headers are also now rusting. So, to cover my lack of care and to protect my pants, I wrapped the headers today.

Disclaimer: this is my first attempt and I believe I will redo this wrap later with a titanium wrap vice this painful fiberglass wrap. The Hi-Temp Silicone coating that came with the kit is white, not the color I want.
Also, I did not take the pipes off the bike before wrapping. This would make for an easier wrap but added wrench time.

The outside temp is around 45°F, Pretty Pillion was going to help but I told her to stay inside for the temp and because I didn't want her to handle the fiberglass wrap. Even using gloves, I got fiber stuck in my hands, no fun.

To start with, the three bikes in the front of the house. Buzzy is under the cover, Rex is almost unseen in the back.
20230211a.jpg

A close up shows the corrosion.
20230211b.jpg
20230211c.jpg

I started on the back pipe as low as I could get.
20230211d.jpg

The YouTube folks tell me measuring is one of the hardest things to do for this task. I only had six inches of overage so good.
20230211e.jpg

The metal bands were a bit fiddly but doable.
20230211f.jpg
20230211g.jpg

I should have started the middle wrap below the first collection point. If I do this again with a titanium wrap, I will start over both the back and middle tube before going up the center pipe.
20230211h.jpg

Those YouTbue guys told me to loop the wrap for the long piece to keep it easy. Yeah, that didn't last long.
20230211i.jpg

I did not soak the fiberglass wrap before application. The instructions did not say to, but I am told on other forums that I could have got tighter wraps if I did and less fibers going around. I did try to keep at least a quarter wrap overlap throughout.
20230211j.jpg

Here is where it started getting tough.
20230211k.jpg

I had about six inches of waste on the first two pipes but got the long pipe measured right, no excess.
20230211l.jpg
20230211m.jpg
20230211n.jpg

It took about ten minutes to burn off/cure the wrap.
20230211o.jpg

I took Brahma for a short ride to the river and find the wrap is at least keeping my leg cooler. Granted, it is only 45°F right now but the difference is good.
20230211p.jpg

I have a can of black silicone on order now. If I chose to use it, I must remove the headers from the bike so a little extra wrench time. At least the headers are freshly attached so that should not be an issue.

I may decide to go with a different wrap that dose not require coating. Let me your thoughts please.

Hey Boog, do you also post at an XVS650 board? Former us military??

Sorry for hijacking your topic, I couldn't find a "private message" button.

EDIT: I see, 5+ posts on the board to be able to PM.

Cough, cough, surely you could devise a heat shield for your leg, that would be more attractive?
:twocents:I've always liked the look of heat color bands.

Hope it works out for you as I understand the benefits of heat protection for your body parts. Many V-Rod owners likewise have wrapped their exhausts for either personal protection or appearance reasons. I have read several reports of fractured header pipes afterwards. Depending on material or thickness the wrapping does detrimental things to the metal properties. Wishing you well.

Best results are from soaking it in water for about 30 mins.

Makes a huge difference. Much like wrapping a cast.

Also using a sealer on it really helps with the longevity.

https://www.designengineering.com/hi-temp-silicone-coating-spray-black/

I’ve had really good results with this stuff.

I have some that’s about 3 years old and still looks solid black like when first wrapped.

Back