Headlight isolation question

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Headlight isolation question SORTED THANKS

I need some electrical help today.

I need to run my 79 SF without the headlight on to conserve my battery until I get to the testing station tomorrow morning for a MOT test.

Its just a temporary one day thing until I have time to sort an intermittent charging issue.

Can I just pull the relay connector ? if so which relay ? and will that impact on anything else ?

I just cannot focus at all today ....my mind is like treacle I cannot concentrate sufficiently to read a schematic and work it out .( Brain fog due to Hypothyroidism ):(

Last edited:
where do I unplug the headlight Tony so that I can plug it in again before the MOT test ?

i can't go check the bike atm as its pissin down but as far as I can remember there isn't a electrical connector outside of the headlamp and I sure don't want to be pulling the headlight out at the garage .Surely it must be easier to pull a relay connector

peanut,

Am I missing something here? Does your headlight come on when the engine starts? You do not have a headlight on off switch? If you are having trouble with the charging system, then the headlight will not come on? If so, then you will not be able to pass the test. If not, then just pull the headlight fuse.

Does your bike have a single fuse or the four fuse box? If you have the four fuse box just take out the headlight fuse. The fuse with the red/yellow wire.
This disables just the headlight, nothing else. When you pull into the test site put the fuse back in just before the test.
Leo

peanut,

Am I missing something here? Does your headlight come on when the engine starts? You do not have a headlight on off switch? If you are having trouble with the charging system, then the headlight will not come on? If so, then you will not be able to pass the test. If not, then just pull the headlight fuse.

no its probably me that is missing something here Pete.

As I said I am suffering quite badly with Hashis at the moment and its all I can do to read my mail!.

Yes my headlight comes on automatically its a 79 Special .
No there isn't a headlight off switch that is for a different model year (not sure which one) .
I do have a spare switch which includes an on/off headlight switch but there isn't time before tomorrow morning to rewire my switch in the pouring rain.

I had not occured to me that the headlight would be fused ...doh:doh: That would seem to be the solution for now.

As I said when I have time I will sort both the intermittent charging and the headlight switch issue .

At the moment all I'm concerned with is riding 8 miles to the garage in the morning and still having some sort of charge in the battery for the test

Does your bike have a single fuse or the four fuse box? If you have the four fuse box just take out the headlight fuse. The fuse with the red/yellow wire.
This disables just the headlight, nothing else. When you pull into the test site put the fuse back in just before the test.
Leo

thanks Leo yes it has the 4x fuse block.
it just didn't occur to me ....:doh:

just cannot describe how debilitating this brainfog condition can get some days when I cannot even fill out a form or compose a letter . Its like your brain refuses to work.
Other days I can strip out the dash of a Porsche and completely rewire the relay /fuse box ,loom, alarm and immobiliser .! and believe you me that is a complicated piece of wiring :wink2:

peanut,

OK. My other point was that if you have an intermittent charging system, the headlight may not come when you need it for the inspection. It's the output from the alternator yellow wire that operates the safety relay to turn the headlight on.

thanks guys for the help much appreciated.

I thought that the charging system was intermittent but working but it seems now that the fault was the new battery not holding sufficient charge.
The headlight seems to work every time I have run the bike.

i just needed a temporary method of disconnecting the headlight for the 8 mile journey to the garage to conserve the battery.

I didn't have time or opportunity to investigate and rectify any fault before my 10am appointment at the garage this morning .

As it happens I managed to get a new battery delivered yesterday which held a full charge by this morning and the bike behaved faultlessly all the way there and back :thumbsup::D

Back