HELP me with my bike!?!?!?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So here's the story.....I bought a nice Xs 650 off craigslist just a little under 2 weeks ago. Got to test ride it before I bought it, everything went great; the bike worked perfectly. The guy I got it from took good care of it and actually did some tunning to it himself, making sure everything was at its best setting. I rode the bike for a few days, but because I was incredibly busy I only got a chance to ride it maybe 4 or 5 times. All of which were very very short trips to the grocery store and back.

Here's where the issues come in. My schedule cleared up and I was finally actually able to take it on a real ride. My gas was low, so I filled it up at the station down the street. Next thing I know, I couldn't get the bike started. I tried both the electric start and the kick, no luck and I eventually ran out of battery. I got the battery jumped and tinkered around on it. I noticed gas was dripping out the right carb, so I flushed it out and it started right back up with no problem. The next morning I had the same problem, this time I flushed it out again and it had no issues. Then the next day i had the same thing, but on my left carb; flushed it out and no problem.

This story goes on..... During those 3 days i would get some white some coming out of my right exhaust, and sometimes on my left.

Another thing I noticed is that my bike idles real low. In the 8 to 900 range. Sometimes it struggles and just dies on me. What's the worse is that sometimes when I riding and come to a stop and let go of he throttle, it"ll go all the way down and just die on me. There I am in the middle of traffic going hard on the electric starter while people are honking at me.

The most recent trip was the worst, I had to either constantly have my hand on he throttle so it stayed between 1200 and 1500 or had the choke on at all times.

I'm also Noticing some areas where it looks like oil is slowly sleep out of. I haven't pinn pointed it yet. But it's only on the left side of the engine, right in the middle area. Theirs oil or some liquid forsure, but only onthe left side,

Lastly, I feel like I'm losing power. For example when I'm going up hill and my revs are I. The 4000 range I'll open the throttle completely, but I won gain any speed. Same with acceleration from a stop. It seems as if a person on a bicycle could have a better and faster start than me.

I'm hoping you guys can lend me some experience. I could definitely use some guidance on this situation.

Not sure what you meant by flushing out the carbs but it might be time to take them off and apart for a good cleaning.The carb guide in the tech section has all the info you'll need.

You don't mention what year your bike is??????????? depending on that the fuel problem could be related to your petcocks. Check for fuel getting into your oil check by smell and if the sump is overfull

I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. But I just moved. I don't think the bike was damaged in the move or anything. But I went from a altitude of around 2500 down to around 50.

I know this plays a part, but could it be the answer?

Altitude could be your idling problem. The vacuum petcocks do wear and leak fuel into the carbs. Pull the hose off the carb with the petcocks set to on. shouldn't leak.

It's kind of rare anymore but bad gas or water in the gas happens, drain a quart into a plastic jar (use reserve) see what it looks like.

That exact problem happened to me. I'm damn near positive its your floats. Pull the carbs out, take off the bowls and pull the pin on the floats. give em a shake and listen can almost guarantee you've got a hole/perforations in a float somewhere. What's happening is your floats are filling with gas and sinking. You're floats when working properly "float" on the gas to regulate the amount in the carbs, when they get too full the float engages a pin that stops the flow of gas from the tank. When they sink they don't engage that pin. That's why you're coming out in the morning to find the same issue, the carbs are filling up with gas overnight till they hit the overflow.

Take the floats and submerge them in water. Rotate them while under water and look for small bubbles or air coming out. Sometimes you can get the gas out and solder the hole shut if its a brass float. If its anything like mine though you'll just have to order new ones. If that's the case make sure you set the float height properly on the new ones when you put them in.

Good Luck

Back