HELP! Pamco ign or carb issue?

urbandork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a pamco ignition system as well as a green moster coil. I am running a banshee alt set up as well as dellorto carbs from Mikes. I also have mikesxs cam and a 750 big bore kit.

The bike was running and timed perfectly with the points on it and it was running perfectly.

Now after installing the Pamco ignition system, green moster coil, and new advance unit springs the bike has a super bad idle and does not rev when twisting the throtle.

With the bike on the center stand in neutral will either doone of two things when kicked over and finally started.

It will have a high and rough idle. When i check the timing marks with a timing light the mark is all the way over to full advance. It also sounds like one of the cylinders is missfireing at this high idle every second consistantly.

when i attempt to twist the throttle to bring the rpm up it bogs down and and it sounds like it miss fires on at least one of the cylinders.

OR

The bike will start up with the throtle twisted at about 1/4 -3/4 and will sound normal. Im able to rev it and have it sound like it always does (vroom vroom type of sound). As soon as let the rpm's settle back down to idle the motor will die.

I check the timing marks while doing this and it looks to be at full advance

Im stumbed as to what he problem maybe because the bike was running perfectly before

Could it be the advance springs being too weak? I thought it might be this so i held the advance weights closed and tried starting her up again and came accross the same problems.

any ideas as to what it could be? Im half tempted to throw the points stuff back on blaaaah.:banghead:

Last edited:
Is the ignition all you changed? Or did you change other things at the same time? Check your grounds. Also, if it sat for awhile before the ignition change it could be carb related.

Stupid question - choke not stuck on..?? Airbox obstruction..??

chokes are cool and im running air filter pods

Is the ignition all you changed? Or did you change other things at the same time? Check your grounds. Also, if it sat for awhile before the ignition change it could be carb related.

Ignition and the advance springs are the only thing i changed. Grounds have good contact and show continuity. It did sit for a bit but not that long.... perhaps ill throw some carb cleaner through them just to be on the safe side? I figured they where new carbs how gummed up could they have been after sitting for only 2 months or so.

So after getting home from work i double checked the timming by visually looking for when the plugs sparked. I also double checked the timing marks as compred to the TDC mark and double checked the TDC mark being correct(because im running a banshee alt set up and yes im using a wr key).

They sparked exactly when the timing mark said they would; both at normal as well as at full advance. It was to late so i couldnt kick her over but tmw morn before work im going to double check the advance mech by keeping the weights closed and see what happens...

It doesnt look to be the pamco system and hopefully is either the carbs idle system being cloged and/or the new adcance springs are too weak and are adcancing the timming at idle.

Im leaning toward the springs being the issue cus when i used the timming light this morning at the high/rough idle the timming mark was comming up on the full advance mark as if the weights where all the way open. This much advance at lower rpms would make for a rough idle right?

Last edited:
Several have cut the hook off the springs and bent the first half coil up for a new hook with new springs from Mikes.

urbandork,

Well, the PAMCO itself either works or it doesn't, so it sounds like it is working, but there are other parts associated with the ignition that should be checked.

1. Advance rod could be binding. Here is s video showing how to test for "snap back" of the advance rod.

2. The basic timing could be off. Here is a picture of the PAMCO plate positioned for starting that puts the timing in the ball bark.

pcboard11.jpg

3. If you had the gas tank off to install the "Green Monster" coil, perhaps you did not reconnect the vacuum lines to the petcocks, if you have them. That will create a very lean mixture.
4. I agree that MikesXS advance springs may have to be "adjusted" for best results. I would try using your old points springs just to verify if that is the problem.

I had the same problem about a year ago and found out that i got a bad set of NEW 34 mm round slide carbs that were sold on the internet. So i put the stock carbs back on and bike ran fine. I also had PAMCO and that was fine bike would only idle and when you advanced throttle it died. Drove me nuts. Also check your manifolds if they leak you will also have close to the same problem.

urbandork,

Forgot this little note. When installing the wires into the towers of the "Green Monster" coil, you have to be sure that the wires are actually making contact because the output of that coil is so high, it will actually arc across the gap if the wires are not actually making contact, but that results in a weak spark.

Take a look at http://www.yamahaxs650.com/WireCaps.htm to see the correct method of crimping the metal ends on the wire for insertion into the towers.

thanks guys...

Yeah the pamco system works just as it should making the spark when the timing mark comes up on the firing mark.

The advance rod/shaft moves freely.

took a look at it this morning and I made sure the weights would not open up and the bike started up on choke but would die once it got warm and wouldnt start normally with out the choke on.

I think its a combination of carbs and the advance springs being too weak... Im going to try to clean the carbs on monday and hopfully put in a new set of advance springs.

urbandork,

Forgot this little note. When installing the wires into the towers of the "Green Monster" coil, you have to be sure that the wires are actually making contact because the output of that coil is so high, it will actually arc across the gap if the wires are not actually making contact, but that results in a weak spark.

Take a look at http://www.yamahaxs650.com/WireCaps.htm to see the correct method of crimping the metal ends on the wire for insertion into the towers.

yup took a look at that when i installed and they are infact installed correctly and that is verified by the fact that the nice bright spark it produces on the plugs.... I dont think its the pamco unit any more and probably the carbs and or the advance springs.. probably both.

i'm running into the same problem as you just with a points ingition - almost exact same symptoms. i installed a set of mikes advance springs and i'm thinking they're too weak - they just don't seem to snap the weights into place like pamcopete's video is showing. i'll probably end up shortening the springs by a winding like was suggested before. Keep us posted on your progress.

yeah i emailed mikes xs to see if i could get another set. I shouldnt have thrown away the old ones... heck now i feel like i shouldnt have even changed the old ones... if it aint broke dont fix it right? duhh o well

Hey, I have an Xs that I can't get running. It has the new e advance hooked in and when testing for spark by rotating the pamco it seems like the spark is weak and will even go a few rotations with no spark and then put out one big spark after missing a couple? Then it will go back to producing a few weak sparks.

Back