Help setting points and tming

gearhead13

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to get it right. I adjust the right hand side first at the widest point on the cam to .012,but when I put a light tester across the points to adjust the points plate after I have the right side on the compression stroke and rotate the plate couterclockwise so the light will turn off it never does. I put new points, ignition coils, plug wires, spark plugs, condensers,ignition switch. I'm running basic wiring no kill switch or anything just ignition switch to turn it on and off for now just so it can start. I have each yellow wire from the coil to one of the points and condenser and both black wires from each coil tied together and going to the ignition side of the ignition switch and the battery side of the ignition switch going to the red wire on the regulator. Thanks in advance.

Hey gearhead13, just a wild guess, maybe the points cam is too worn down to give sufficient lift.
Rotate engine and watch cam lift points, if at all. With the points plate in the middle position, point set to .012", rotate engine until point breaks, then note where timing mark on rotor is pointing. Should be somewhere near the 'fire' zone. If it's way off, look at that points cam...

Last edited:
Put in a new points too. Is the part with the raised ridge go to the front or back? I also forgot to mention. I had it running for about 20sec. till it shut off by itself. The coils were real hot so thats why I ended up putting everything new I thought the coils messed up.

The raised ridge goes to the rear. To be sure left/right timing is set correctly, pull right plug, put finger over hole, rotate engine until you feel pressure, you are coming on the compression stroke for right side. Right side point should be closed here. Continue rotate engine until rotor mark is in 'fire' zone. Right side point should just start break here...

Have you had the advance unit and the advance rod apart? If so, you may have assembled things incorrectly and out of time. The points cam on the points side of the rod and the little disc on the advance side have locating pins. These must face in the same direction or the timing will be 180° off.

AdvanceRod.jpg

Back