Help! Spedometer face plate screws backed out!

rfk74650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Guru's,
Does anyone have a fix for reinstalling the screws into the speedometer face plate under the glass on a 74 TX650a?
I took the speedometer apart but it appears the body is pressed and rolled over the glass, making it impossible to remove the glass so I can refasten the the face plate containing the MPH printed numbers. So for now, my faceplate is sitting upside down in the speedometer :banghead:
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million . I could not find the shrink tube so I used somw Scotch 33 electrical tape whitch is very stretchy and water-tite. It worked very well.
Thanks Again!

Really wish this link still worked. My speedometer's scuffed on the bottom and the face plate's been re-crimped kinda ragged-edged. Partzilla has a new housing and rubber gasket but I can't see that the crimp-ring for the speedometer unit itself was ever available separately. Suggestions for a repair? Not ordering parts till I'm sure I know what all I really need.

1712542521686.png
1712542568772.png
1712542642132.png

Shelby put a wanted ad out there maybe someone has one for a good price for a different unit :shrug:

Shelby put a wanted ad out there maybe someone has one for a good price for a different unit :shrug:
I saw a NOS unit complete online somewhere today but I hate to mess with the mileage. Is there a way to reset the odometer? Used to be you could, but I think the Feds got wind of that a few decades ago... Also not sure what year the speedometer was.
Found a thread with a great explanation of how to rebuild my speedometer, replacing the bezel with shrink tape here: Speedometer and Tachometer Rebuild. Also found Roll the speedo over/back/start at zero. But since the second requires replacing the bezel, might as well try that first.

Last edited:
I saw a NOS unit complete online somewhere today but I hate to mess with the mileage. Is there a way to reset the odometer? Used to be you could, but I think the Feds got wind of that a few decades ago... Also not sure what year the speedometer was.
Found a thread with a great explanation of how to rebuild my speedometer, replacing the bezel with shrink tape here: Speedometer and Tachometer Rebuild. Also found Roll the speedo over/back/start at zero. But since the second requires replacing the bezel, might as well try that first.
Tech Menu, "Frame and Body"

https://www.xs650.com/threads/gauge...0-83-gauge-repair-honda-70-71-750-4-ko.52013/

Awesome! Thanks so much! Surgery about to commence. May not need any new parts at all, just some finessing and a TINY lil tap-it hammer to un-ding the bezel dings..
If you want it, I've got a same year speedo. The red on the face is faded but otherwise it's serviceable. If nothing else, use the innards from yours and the case and bezel from this one to make one good. Yours for the shipping?

If you want it, I've got a same year speedo. The red on the face is faded but otherwise it's serviceable. If nothing else, use the innards from yours and the case and bezel from this one to make one good. Yours for the shipping?
That would be awesome! I ordered a NOS case but the bezzle's a real issue. Mine's kinda... not sure how to describe it. Rippled? on the inner side. The side toward the dial. Not been off, just been abused. Like something fell on it and someone who didn't know how tried to smoosh it back to rights with slip-joints.

That would be awesome! I ordered a NOS case but the bezzle's a real issue. Mine's kinda... not sure how to describe it. Rippled? on the inner side. The side toward the dial. Not been off, just been abused. Like something fell on it and someone who didn't know how tried to smoosh it back to rights with slip-joints.
I'll get it headed your way in the next day or two then.

Back