Help with signal fuse issues?

Dumbmonkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm having an issue trying to resolve what keeps blowing my signal fuse. I realize that I'm going to have to go through everything with a multi, and any advice on that would be welcome, but first I thought I'd see if anyone might have any insights.
I have a 1981 Special 2 that is pretty much stock. I changed out the directionals with K&S turn signals, and replaced the stock flasher with a 552. The signal fuse started blowing last week and I had attributed it to the old original fuse box as one of the clips broke when I replace the fuse. I've installed an inline ATM fuse block and the fuse still blows. I thought it might have been the turn signal switch as that had given me problems in the past, but after disconnecting the entire pod, the problem persists. I've gone to disconnecting everything but the main switch in the headlight bucket, and all 4 directionals, and the fuse still blows.
Does anyone have any ideas of where else I might want to be looking for the source of this problem?

Electrical trouble shooting is usually just a process of elimination. Keep disconnecting components until the fuse does not blow. Switches and wires can easily have a tiny hidden bare connection to ground.

When wires pass through the headlight bucket, there should be a rubber grommet. However sometimes the PO's toss the grommets, or the grommets wear out. Without a good rubber grommet, the wires can easily wear through the insulation and cause a short circuit.

retiredgentleman,
Thanks for the advice! I checked the grommets, and they're all good. The last items I disconnected were the license plate light and the taillight. The fuse stopped blowing!
Here's the weird thing when I reconnected those two items, the fuse didn't blow.
What the what?!?!?!

retiredgentleman,
Thanks for the advice! I checked the grommets, and they're all good. The last items I disconnected were the license plate light and the taillight. The fuse stopped blowing!
Here's the weird thing when I reconnected those two items, the fuse didn't blow.
What the what?!?!?!

You have an intermittant short circuit. The short circuit comes and goes at its own choosing. Now you know the area to focus on. More detective work and you will find it. It could be in a bulb socket, or it could even be the bulb itself. Remove each bulb, and visually check each socket. New bulbs may be worth while.

Hi again!
So if anyone is curious, I'm still having issues with my signal fuse blowing. I thought it might have been something exposed and grounding at the taillight, although I didn't see anything obvious, so I rewrapped the exposed wires with self sealing tape and reconnected everything. That seemed to have solved the issue until yesterday. I've disconnected everything again including the directionals, taillight, license plate light, along with everything at the headlight bucket except the master switch. The signal fuse still blows.
(as does this situation, ha ha...)
Now, here's where it gets interesting. I pulled both ends of the harness out of the headlight bucket and the sleeve of the left side harness ( the side where the signal pod is) was full of water. I think I found the problem! I must have gotten water in the sleeve the last time I washed the bike, which is incidentally, around the time that the fuse issues started...
I've hung the sides of the harness to dry for a few days, and I'll check again to see if I'm right...

:) low voltage issues on bikes and cars can be a bit like black magic, often the problem(s) drive even the best around the corner, it's a good bet that the water is an issue, but there could still be an exposed wire in the harness, this could be an show as a problem again, you might want to ring out each wire with an ohm meter to see if there is still a fault. Or not, just ride the bike on sunny days, never wash it again, good luck, probably something simple when you find it.

Retired Gentleman,
Do you think letting it dry out might solve the problem? I'm planning on cutting off the sleeve, checking all the wires, and then rewrapping with self sealing tape...

Eureka!!!
I've found the problem!!! The brown wire connecting to the rear brake switch was loose in the connector and shorting out on the frame! I recrimped and tightened the connection, and now there is no blowing of the fuse!
The water in the harness sleeve was good find along the way, though.
Now to rewrap the harness with self sealing tape and get everything back together...
Whoohooo!!!

I always laugh when I hear some say that "It's the last thing you check" or look.
Of course it's the last place you check. Once you find it you quit looking.
Leo

I always laugh when I hear some say that "It's the last thing you check" or look.
Of course it's the last place you check. Once you find it you quit looking.
Leo

Hi Leo,
the failure is in the grammar.
What one should say is:- "It should have been the first thing I checked."
(Sez he, plugging the loose connector back in after rewiring the bike's complete signalling system.)

:) it would be too easy if you knew automatically where the problem was. :banghead:. It is nice though when it is the first thing you check, that's when you begin to think, hey I have a handle on this, it ain't so hard.

Back