HELP! xs1 Speedometer drive

imwastefull

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought my first xs650 a few weeks ago and i wanted to install a speedo on her. She has the xs1 drum hub up front with the speedo built in. When i go to install the speedo cable there is just nothing inside the speedo drive for the cable to screw onto... am i missing something? I think there is a bolt or thread inside the drive that isnt there... can anyone post a picture of theres or help out with the parts i need?

any suggestion is helpful as i just spent too much on a new speedo and cable and would rather not ride without one.

imwastefull@live.com for any help. please and thank you!!

thanks!

20120331_174228.jpg

20120331_174222.jpg

20120331_174238.jpg

20120331_174323.jpg

20120331_174335.jpg

Go to boats.net they have some of the parts you are missing. Look up your XS1 on the parts listings. It looks like you need parts 14-17 and paerts 22-26. The only parts they say are obsolete are 16,17 and 23. To get those you might need to find a brake plate and wheel to get them out of.
Leo

Damn. That's unfortunate. Any chance someone on this site would be so kind to unscrew their speedo cable and take a pic of the speedo drive for me?

anyone have xs1 drum hub speedo drive parts they can sell?

also, i have the xs650 speedo drive from the hydraulic brake style hub. any chance i can use that on this rim?

NO. That won't work.

The XS1 front speedo drive cable is different then the later year cables. I appears that you may have the wrong cable. You may want to check out the speedo cable section of mikes xs and see the difference.

yeah, i noticed that i might have bought the wrong cable. but regardless as you can see from the pic the inside of the speedo gear is gutted... shit sucks.

your speedo drive on your hub is fine, get a cable for an XS1 - the cable you have is incorrect. When you go to insert the correct cable you will have to remove the 6x1.0mm bolt adjacent to the drive (near the fork leg), insert your cable with the bolt removed - this may take a little wiggling. once the cable is inserted install the speedo cable retainer bolt. If you want to prove your speedo drive is working - give the front wheel a spin while looking into the drive & the very center should be turning.
If none of this works out for you I'll give you 50bux for your front wheel......lol.

Back