B model front wheel installation help

AlanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refitting refurbished forks and putting front wheel back in. Castle nut and washer on right hand side, fitted the axle and speedo drive and starting to tighten things up and wheel is binding. I thought I’d carefully kept everything to go back on - my question is - am I missing a spacer somewhere? Looked at cmsnl pics and I can’t see one . Any help gratefully received. Thanks

There’s a small lip inside the caliper side the step in the axle has to get past. Otherwise I’d suspect the speedo drive not seated all the way in? Got any pics?

There’s a small lip inside the caliper side the step in the axle has to get past. Otherwise I’d suspect the speedo drive not seated all the way in? Got any pics?

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3776.jpeg
    IMG_3776.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 30
The speedo drive fits ok as far as I can see. Stops against the fork leg.??All good until I try and nip everything up.

Is it your brake caliper binding when you tighten it? Small increments until it starts binding then determine exactly where it starts to drag.

There’s a spacer between the wheel bearings that gets squeezed after years of over torquing. Make sure that the bearings are properly seated and not too far in.

Problem finally solved and it was due to user error!!! Thanks to those who stopped and made me look in the right place - especially gggGary and Wingedwheel! Took the pads out of the caliper to eliminate any brake binding and put the wheel back in. Noticed the brake disk was rubbing against the caliper! Closer inspection showed the spring washers on the inside of the caliper bolt pushing it over by a few mm.!! When I took the forks out for refurb I had carefully reattached the dome nuts and spring washers onto the caliper for safe keeping and stupidly forgot to take them off when I reattached it. Dumbass!, but it’s now sorted and the bike is ready for the spring! Thanks again to this group for helping me out - all it cost was time and a little loss of dignity. 😀

To be clear you tighten the castle nut, then tighten the LH axle clamp?
Might want to take a step back and try this.
Good video Gary !! Thanks
I need to check the tubes on my 77
That maybe why the disc seemed to have rubbed on the caliper?

Attachments

• 20240312_162215.jpg
    20240312_162215.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 12
Back