How to measure spacers needed for an xt500 wheel swap?

ebb0tk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So im swapping my xs650 mag front out for an xt500 front wheel, anyone have a good walkthrough how to center it and also measure new spacers to be made?

pvc pipe the way to go? is there an easier option?

ive seen some do this swap on the forum but havent had any luck contacting them, maybe now its their time to shine =)

Tobias :)

Do you have the spacers that came with the new wheel? the ones with the dust shields on them. If so put these spacers on the axle as they go when mounted. Measure the total width of this assembly. Next measure the inside width of your forks.
Subtract the wheel width from the fork width. Divide by two. This is the dimension you need for spacers.
As in your wheel assembly is 6.5 inches wide, the fork are 7.25 wide. 7.25-6.5=.75 75 divided by two is .375. So 3/8 inch spacers get the wheel to fit the forks.
Use steel for spacers, you can buy chrome spacer stock and cut to length or use Most any steel tubing cut to length.
If this doesn't center the wheel measure how much it's off and adjust the spacers to center the wheel. As in 1/4 to the left, shorten the right spacer by 1/4 inch and lengthen the left one 1/4 inch.
Simple ain't it.
Leo

Alright, ill give it a shoot. I guess you could do that measure to stock wheel aswell instead of inside forks too i guess? =)

Yes, some even use washers to shim wheel over. Most hardware stores have a good selection of washers. Take your axle along to get the right size. Get the grade 8 washers. a bit more expensive, but the thickness if much more uniform. The regular washers are all different thicknesses.
Might even try metric washer if they have them large enough.
Leo

The guy you got the wheel from, Ebay, Post a parts wanted add on here. Find a forum that caters to the XT500 and ask on there.
Have you tried the spacers from your XS650 wheel? They may fit.
Leo

Also following this for info. Curious to know what you're doing to make the 15mm axle XT500 front wheel fit your 17mm xs650 axle. Please keep us posted with what you find on the spacers. Thanks!

Well the axle is easy, other bearings with same outerdiameter and another innerdiameter as the xs650 axle (17mm) easy to find. About the spacers im going to make them my own in the lathe. So if interested in measurements later on ill post them here so you can have them premade at a shop or something.

I was actually having a tough time finding the appropriate bearing for the swap. I could only find it in the non-sealed variety. Does sealed vs. non sealed bearing make a big difference here?

Well ill get all the info to you as soon as im finished (havent started yet, have hurt my back and am on a rehab atm)
But the bearings im gonna use (what i remember) are '6003 2RS 17x35x10'
I have not decided how im gonna do with the spacer between bearings, because the original xt500 bearings are thicker.

The thickness of the bearing isn't going to change the length of the spacer required between them. A thick or thin bearing will still seat in the hub the same amount. What bearing thickness will influence is the spacer size needed on the outside, on the left and right side of the wheel. But, custom adapting a wheel like this, you would no doubt need to make custom outer spacers anyway.

I wonder if there is enough clearance at full bump, if using a stock XS fork? After all the wheel is 2" larger, so there will be 1" less clearance between tyre and exhaust/ head/ lower triple. Personally, I would definitely pull out the fork springs and make 100% sure, before even test riding the bike.

Ok the wheel size has little bear on the tire diameter. The stock 100/90-19 means the tire is 100 mm wide, with a 90% aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is the ratio of tire height versus tire width. Tire height is from tread to bead seat. So 90% of the tire width is 90 mm tall. Tires have a top and bottom, so you multiply the height by 2, 180 mm, convert to inchers by dividing mm by 25.4 to get inches. about 7 inches, add the wheel height you get 26 inches.
A 3.00-21 is a tire 3 inches wide, all inch size tires are 100% aspect, so they are 3 inch tread to bead, X 2 is 6 + 21 is 27 So you se the 21 inch tire is only 1 inch taller.
It will effect ride height at the front axle by 1/2 inch, under the seat 1/4 inch.
It looks very different but in actuality it's not much different.
Leo

Fantastic write up Leo, I learned some new stuff today. Also good to know that the difference in ride height would be only slightly higher than the stock tire.

Okay. An update of the process, been a while. Have hurt my back, slipped disc =/ but im making process both back and build wise.
The bearings are swapped to '6003 2RS', spacer between bearings AND drum plate are machined in a lathe to 17-17.1mm aprox, an shop shouldnt charge more than 30-40$ to do this.
I'll do the spacers in the next month if anyones interested in the measurements of those ill post them here =)
This wheel is actually from an DT250 -77 but it is identical to an XT500 front so no worries, i bought new stainless spokes for this wheel that was listed specifically for an XT500, they are marked crossparts on cmsnl.com etc =)

Attachments

• DSC_0719.JPG
    DSC_0719.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0720.JPG
    DSC_0720.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 262
So the spacers are done. The left side (non drumside) spacer is 34mm. And the spacer on the drumside is 11mm.
I started on 34,5mm at the nondrumside and took of material until i was happy. Ive measured from the rim to inside fork leg.
The nondrumside spacer measure maybe doesnt work for everyone, depends on how your rim is centered on your hub. So its still good you take your own measurements if you wanna do this swap, now im gonna work on a stop for the drumplate.

Attachments

• DSC_0779.JPG
    DSC_0779.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0781.JPG
    DSC_0781.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0782.JPG
    DSC_0782.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 281
And now a stop for the drum is done, turned out pretty neat. I also made a bushing for the forkleg, the hole is 10.7mm aprox, made u bushing to center a M8 bolt there (its not installed on the pics) wont be posting any more here since the wheel swap is complete =)

Attachments

• DSC_0783.JPG
    DSC_0783.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC_0784.JPG
    DSC_0784.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0786.JPG
    DSC_0786.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 299
Back