How to mount rear fender on hardtail?

I used the second method described on Low Brow Customs Tech Tips. 1) For each mount, top and bottom, weld tube on frame cross member. 2) Weld 2 tabs on fender. 3) 5/16 bolt through tabs and through tube. 4) Add struts if you want. 5) That's it. Easy to take fender off and on.

Of course, the description is a lot easier than the doing. Positioning is key. A) First, position the fender exactly where you want it. I used a garden hose between fender and tire to get 3/4 inch clearance. B) Drill a hole in each tab for the 5/16 inch bolt. I used 1/8 inch steel bar for each tab. C) Then mockup the tube on the frame cross member, with the bolt through the tube and the two tabs. I had to weld a bit of 1/8 inch bar between tube and cross member to get enough space for the bolt head and nut to squeeze between tube and cross member. C) With bolt through tube and through the tabs, figure out where the tube must go on the cross member, how long you will need to make your tabs, and where they must be tacked on the fender. D) Tack the tube onto the cross member first. E) Re-check the positioning of the tabs on the fender and cut them to length. F) Tack tabs onto fender. G) Check everything and retack as necessary.

Here are some pix.

By the way, it is better to tack the tabs on to the fender when they are bolted through the tube that you have tacked to the cross member.

Attachments

• IMAG2518 lower fender frame mount tack.jpg
    IMAG2518 lower fender frame mount tack.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG260126 lower mount close.jpg
    IMAG260126 lower mount close.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 352
  • IMAG260131 tabs tacked upper fender mounted.jpg
    IMAG260131 tabs tacked upper fender mounted.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 352
Back