how to wire withh no battery

ffox4545

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am building a dirt tracker from an 79'xs and need to know how to wire for kick start only no real need for a battery as there will be know lights starter ect... any help would be greatly appriciated

i do beleive that if you are using the stock stator u have to have a battery cause its not a permanent magnet so you need power to make power. im running a ninja 250 chargine system with a permanent magnet. in theory i dont need a batt but as i found out the other day i do cause the stator cant keep up wsith the power that the coil requires to fire. so i can run a capacitor. somthin to look into. im sure the guys here know for sure. good luck

By dirt tracker do you mean it's just going to be flat track racing on dirt?
If I was going to do that I would remove the stator and rotor, the regulator and rectifier. Remove starter and block off where it was. Strip out all the wiring. Use the points, condensers. coils and a kill switch and a battery. With just enough wires to make it run. Charge the battery between races. This is called a total loss system. Most racers build bikes this way. removes lots of weight. And even a small battery will last longer than most races.

Back