Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Any Interest?

So I'm waiting patiently here (not sarcastic) but I want to ride already!!! You guys think if I glued it carefully it'd be OK for now?

Too late! I did some Internet searches on brake fluid and super glue and it seemingly has no effect so I took it off and am waiting on the glue to dry.

Next question is does anybody know the fill level? There's a rubber diaphragm in there but I didn't see any markings for a fill level.

Hey Detale what was wrong with the motor i see you got it back.
HUGH if you are reading this i got a crank and Cam coming your way some guy overseas bought it from me and says to send it to you. Do you still need extra Cams? I think i got one or two floating around here. What ever i got i will throw in the box.
OK Brooklyn Boy i got to hook you up with my buddy on 77th he rides one of my chops all over Brooklyn and alwas looking for someone to ride with. I want to hear that bike roar down 3rd ave passed the bars HAHA
Take care guys...

Ha ha 3rd ave! Piston ring, valve guides, cam tensioner all were shot so I got the top end done over. Sounds and feels tons better now but I'm still down because of the cracked cover. If I don't get it tomorrow I think I can make one out of aluminum stock easily enough. I just passed my MSF course (after almost 2 years of "outlawin it") so I want to ride my legal ass off before the rain hits Sunday. Id love to see your work man. When I get up again I'll PM you to try and meet up with your buddy there.

EDIT: Yeah Crazy Glue didn't work. It held the pieces together nicely butthere were too many fragments missing to make it seal right. :(

Last edited:
OK so I'm going to try making a cap out of Aluminum in a few. Do you guys think it needs to be carved out on the underside or will a flat piece with 4 holes work?

Ok so I made a piece to fit. Nothing fancy but it doesn't leak anymore. I'm gonna take it out for a test ride and see. If it works I'll pretty it up and post more pics. Not bad for only using a grinder and a drill.
img2726r.jpg

img2728va.jpg

img2727d.jpg

img2725u.jpg

It seems to work OK. I didn't put any fluid in though so I'm going to do that tomorrow. I grabbed some dot 4 like is says but how much do I fill it up?

Ok so I made a piece to fit. Nothing fancy but it doesn't leak anymore. I'm gonna take it out for a test ride and see. If it works I'll pretty it up and post more pics. Not bad for only using a grinder and a drill.
img2726r.jpg

img2728va.jpg

img2727d.jpg

img2725u.jpg

I can dig it... Way better than the plastic caps... :thumbsup:

I have been waiting on a new shipment of components to assemble more of these kits... Had a few folks with broken caps, cannot stress enough not to overtighten those things :D

Got a bad feeling that i might have broke something in my hydraulic clutch yesterday. I go to move the bike across the garage to finish the wiring and I pull the clutch and it just lets loose. Was working before, and now I got nothing. Will try and trouble shoot it later. I gotta finish this wiring first.

Well. I don't think I broke anything but I can't get this clutch adjusted right. First the only way it'll engage is to have the lever at its farthest out position...too big for my wife's hand.

I can move from first to neutral easily but second is difficult and anything more is impossible. This is a new build so I didn't have previous measurements. I've tried it with the slave cylinder all the way in, all the way out, and in between as the instructions suggested.

Any ideas? Clutch worked find during mockup.

Any body know the proper procedure for adjusting the clutch itself. Basically I'm looking for a light clutch (for wife) and with little throw in the handle to accomidate her small hands.

I might have to give Hugh a call on Monday.

Any body know the proper procedure for adjusting the clutch itself. Basically I'm looking for a light clutch (for wife) and with little throw in the handle to accomidate her small hands.

I might have to give Hugh a call on Monday.

Adjust the clutch - the locknut in the side cover should be set to just slightly snug, back off 1/8 of a turn, and then lock it down. That sets the initial clutch rod/ worm gear relationship proper. Do this with the rod on the HHB Hydraulic Clutch fully extended behind the cover...

Can someone confirm something for me...
How far I've screwed the slave into the cover has no relationship now to position of the clutch lever up top. That said when putting the slave in more it should allow the clutch to engage with smaller lever pulls than having the slave way out of the cover which should require more pull from the lever. Correct?

Do the clutch return springs ever wear out? It almost seems like the spring isn't inside the cover isn't returning the clutch back as well as it should.

Do the clutch return springs ever wear out? It almost seems like the spring isn't inside the cover isn't returning the clutch back as well as it should.

If you are talking about the small spring under the alternator/sprocket cover, it will not return the Hydraulic Assembly back to full extension. The clutch springs do that work for you... Have you fully read the install?

I recall reading that now that you mentioned it. I'm hoping to get it adjusted as you mentioned earlier. Yes I've read the install. Quick question though...does the amount the slave cylinder is screwed in affect the handle position. At the moment my handle has to be all the way out (with a lot of throw, if you think about it that way...to work)

OK. So the wife's seat finally arrived from Danny Grey and I take it on her maiden voyage. Pics on the bottom of page 12.

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=12634.msg314798#msg314798

Anyway since this is the first time I've ridden this bike more than a block I decided to give her an oil change first. the only oil I could find was Proline 30W SAE oil from Pepboys. Take it out and its running good. The Hughs Handbuilt Hydraulic clutch is working. But if I really punch it the clutch starts slipping.

So my questions are this:
1. Is my clutch out of adjustment?
2. Is the oil causing slippage?
3. Do I need new clutch springs?
4. Do I need a new clutch pack?

Any ideas?

Try backing off of the side cover adjustment just a hair.. If that doesn't help, then it's time for some better clutch components...

Back