I’ve been robbed! 🤬

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Came up to our cottage yesterday and found there was an attempted break in. Screen was cut on our lakeside porch and the crooks tried to jimmy open the door to the cottage with a pry bar or screwdriver. Fortunately for us, the old ‘60’s styled deadbolt held and entry was denied. Then the ba$tards decided to cut the locks off our sheds. The one attached to the cottage had nothing obvious removed but they hit the jackpot on our detached 8 X 10 shed. They stole my nice Stihl string trimmer; nearly new Stihl chainsaw; nice upright 15 gallon Dewalt air compressor; gas tank and fuel line for my boat; gas cans full of fuel; a small generator; wheel barrow; leaf blower and other stuff I can’t ID at this time (empty spots on shelves but can’t recall what was there). I figure they got away with $2-$3K worth of stuff 🤬🤬🤬.

The cottage I’d insured but iirc, the deductible is quite high (Will pull policy when I get home). If I give a claim my already high rates will go up and in the long run I will surely lose. Bottom line is I will be out of pocket for all of the stolen goods. Police were called but since we are in a rural area, response time is very slow and they have yet to arrive to complete their report. Now I’m afraid to leave anything here so I’m taking home most of my tools and just leaving a bare minimum at the cottage. I’m now forced to cart back and forth any tools or equipment I might need to do work around the property. This really pi$$es my off. I worked hard to buy nice stuff for myself snd some lowlife comes and steals it from me.

End of rant…. Need to focus on what I need to do to make my place more theft proof.

Not a very professional set of scum. When I was a student, somebody came into our country cottage and took what little of value we had. Police attended and told us no real chance of finding the thief or our stuff. Annoying, costly, but the worst effect is the feeling of your place & life being invaded. Undermines your sense of security.

In the end we worked round to thinking, you can take reasonable precautions like locking the door, putting valuables away. But if it happens, it happens.

I have wireless cameras around my house and am able to view alerts from my phone. If you don’t have them hooked to Wi-Fi they don’t broadcast but they do record. I feel it’s cheap insurance and if they are not visible but you have a sign it’s still a deterrent.

@bosco659, I share your sense of anger and violation. The unfortunate reality is cottage-country is a ripe hunting ground for thieves, with little to discourage such thievery. I too have a cottage that is similarly isolated. A boat was stolen from the grounds and there was a break-in by vandals/squatters who appeared to have stayed there a while. Fortunately, they did little damage other than leaving a mess.

I would suggest that you do discuss the possibility and repercussions of making a claim with your insurance agent. I am not sure that a claim will result in increased premiums necessarily

Came up to our cottage yesterday and found there was an attempted break in. Screen was cut on our lakeside porch and the crooks tried to jimmy open the door to the cottage with a pry bar or screwdriver. Fortunately for us, the old ‘60’s styled deadbolt held and entry was denied. Then the ba$tards decided to cut the locks off our sheds. The one attached to the cottage had nothing obvious removed but they hit the jackpot on our detached 8 X 10 shed. They stole my nice Stihl string trimmer; nearly new Stihl chainsaw; nice upright 15 gallon Dewalt air compressor; gas tank and fuel line for my boat; gas cans full of fuel; a small generator; wheel barrow; leaf blower and other stuff I can’t ID at this time (empty spots on shelves but can’t recall what was there). I figure they got away with $2-$3K worth of stuff 🤬🤬🤬.

The cottage I’d insured but iirc, the deductible is quite high (Will pull policy when I get home). If I give a claim my already high rates will go up and in the long run I will surely lose. Bottom line is I will be out of pocket for all of the stolen goods. Police were called but since we are in a rural area, response time is very slow and they have yet to arrive to complete their report. Now I’m afraid to leave anything here so I’m taking home most of my tools and just leaving a bare minimum at the cottage. I’m now forced to cart back and forth any tools or equipment I might need to do work around the property. This really pi$$es my off. I worked hard to buy nice stuff for myself snd some lowlife comes and steals it from me.

End of rant…. Need to focus on what I need to do to make my place more theft proof.
I feel your pain.
Same happened to me two years ago. To be fair the shed was a bit dilapidated. Took similar kit to your losses. I repaired the shed and put on high security locks. Bastards came back and took the windows out and pinched my newly replaced kit. I dont have windows on my shed anymore!
The crooks know you are going to replace the lost kit, and no doubt the same bastards made a return trip!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully you can claim any loss against your taxes. Little consolation though. I also leave valuables in a storeage area for extended periods of time. Thinking of getting a few of those cheap GPS tracker tags and hiding them on some of the things I know would be targeted. Need to outsmart the bastards.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully you can claim any loss against your taxes. Little consolation though. I also leave valuables in a storeage area for extended periods of time. Thinking of getting a few of those cheap GPS tracker tags and hiding them on some of the things I know would be targeted. Need to outsmart the bastards.
I live on a dirt road in a rural area. Everyone knows everyone on the road and what vehicles they drive. If someone comes through here slow rolling and just have that "look", you know, jailhouse haircut, meth mouth etc., the phone calls start. Getting caught on someone's property around here would not be pleasant. Sorry for your loss my friend.

Last edited:
Up to $3950 as I look at replacement costs. Tip for everyone. Police suggest placing some distinguishing mark on all things of value. Needless to say model and serial numbers should be recorded. The mark could be engraved or etched onto the items. That way there’s a possibility if they bust the crook(s) you might be able to ID and reclaim your property.
Nearly 30 hours after reported and police still haven’t shown up.

Up to $3950 as I look at replacement costs. Tip for everyone. Police suggest placing some distinguishing mark on all things of value. Needless to say model and serial numbers should be recorded. The mark could be engraved or etched onto the items. That way there’s a possibility if they bust the crook(s) you might be able to ID and reclaim your property.
Nearly 30 hours after reported and police still haven’t shown up.
No police visit to at least file a report??? That's shocking. Unfortunately, there is little to no chance of the thieves actually getting caught. Bet that your belongings end up on Marketplace or the like. I see near-new tools and whatnot on Marketplace at give-away prices all the time. Bet that most of that stuff is stolen. Its a sad reality.

Police called today apologizing for not having visited yet. Like everyone they claim they are short staffed. I’ll have to call and demand a report. It will be 48 hours at 10:00 am since the incident was reported. Big reality check for me on the value of things. I was shocked at the replacement costs for most of my stuff. I’d guess at least 2-3X what I paid for the items, some less than 5 years ago.

Check Craig's list carefully and see if your property materializes, friend. And they'll probably return with a bigger Plan, and better breakintools. In wild youth I took back a stolen WLA Harley, but it a bit rash...ahem. There was a .38 involved... ;)

Craig's List amigo! And the swap meet, and "garage sales" Good Luck!

Pieces of plywood w/screws coming through from underneath placed strategically around your place. Trail cams have came a long way also, they have notification capabilities also priced reasonable. Sorry to hear that. Thieves definettly suck!

A pair of pukes attempted to steal my Triton parked downstairs here at condoville..... everything on surveillance video.. the pukes.. the car.. the license plate.... over a month ago.... so far... cops have done squat.... It's a misdemeanor ... " tampering "... a slap on the wrist.... they have the address of the plate holder... no one will share the video with me.... " IF " I get a report.. I'll knock on the puke's door..... :mad::mad::mad:

It should be not only legal but encouraged to execute thieves/robbers on the spot and feed their remains to the coyotes.

You win, insurance companies win, society wins, cop's workload is reduced, prison crowding is reduced, recidivism is eliminated...I'm not seeing a downside here.
Hi DE,
the downside will be that Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives will make sure that the person you execute will be an eccentric relative who wants to share his lottery winnings.

Pieces of plywood w/screws coming through from underneath placed strategically around your place. Trail cams have came a long way also, they have notification capabilities also priced reasonable. Sorry to hear that. Thieves definettly suck!
Make it Honey Locust branches.......natural!

Adding insult to injury…

- insurance company won’t answer my emails
- police reporting incomplete and I can’t contact the officer to open the file again
- tamper proof screws for door hinges $58
- better quality padlocks $120
- better dead bolts for doors $250

All because some low life decided to steal my stuff. 🤬🤬

Back