I’ve been robbed! 🤬

Adding insult to injury…

- insurance company won’t answer my emails
- police reporting incomplete and I can’t contact the officer to open the file again
- tamper proof screws for door hinges $58
- better quality padlocks $120
- better dead bolts for doors $250

All because some low life decided to steal my stuff. 🤬🤬
Dang! So sorry to hear that.

Adding insult to injury…

- insurance company won’t answer my emails
- police reporting incomplete and I can’t contact the officer to open the file again
- tamper proof screws for door hinges $58
- better quality padlocks $120
- better dead bolts for doors $250

All because some low life decided to steal my stuff. 🤬🤬
They might not respond to your emails but they'll respond to a claim. Work your way up or down from there. The reality is that you'll never make anything completely burglary-proof. Take reasonable measures commensurate with the value of what you are trying to protect and rely on insurance. That's what you have it for.

They might not respond to your emails but they'll respond to a claim. Work your way up or down from there. The reality is that you'll never make anything completely burglary-proof. Take reasonable measures commensurate with the value of what you are trying to protect and rely on insurance. That's what you have it for.
What sucks is that no one cares. File a claim, rates go up. If you're a business and file a claim, when the rates go up, it's passed on to the consumer and the consumer either pays up or goes elsewhere. The government doesn't really care to investigate or prosecute low level "non-violent" crimes, so there is very little to discourage these miscreants from their behavior. We all end up paying for it in higher prices for everything.

BTW, don't get me wrong, in the sense that you should take this lightly. Absolutely not! Thievery burns me to the core!!!

Years ago, I had a shop with a few parts cars outside. One night I find some fellow taking apart the dash on one of them, He's standing outside the car, door open, leaning in. I walk up behind him, out of his line-of-sight. I lean heavily ( I am not little...) on the open door, catching his shins between the door and the rocker panel and I ask him " finding everything you're looking for?" His head came up so fast he dented the roof of the car from the inside. I suggested that he take his future parts searches elsewhere.

Last edited:
Big disappointment is the police. They essentially had me create and fill out my own report without even coming to see me. The detachment is 12 minutes away and I gave them 2-1/2 days to show up. They claimed they are short staffed. Quite honestly I’m tired of hearing this.

We have exactly the same issues in Britain in respect of 'low level' crime. In lots of rural areas, farmers suffer people coming on to their property and stealing heating oil or quads or tools - anything they can find. Police say they can't do much because they're short staffed.

When I said, 'you can take reasonable precautions like locking the door, putting valuables away. But if it happens, it happens' that is not trivialising the impact of thievery.

I agree with @atom4488 'Take reasonable measures commensurate with the value of what you are trying to protect and rely on insurance.'

A word on @Downeaster's suggestion.

Back in 1999, a farmer living in rural East Anglia got fed up with youths coming on his farm to steal and one night he shot two of them in his house - one dead, the other seriously injured. Conflicting evidence on whether he took the youths into his house to try, find guilty and punish them as extra-judicial 'justice'. He was tried for murder and intent to murder, found guilty by a jury and sent to prison. However after lots of legal appeals, he ended up being released after only serving about three years.

The case sparked a lot of debate about how people can defend their own property when the Police appear unable to and there was a lot of sympathy for the farmer. But given the opportunity to think about the question, most people in Britain remain firmly against vigilantes and shooting intruders.

Last edited:
We have exactly the same issues in Britain in respect of 'low level' crime. In lots of rural areas, farmers suffer people coming on to their property and stealing heating oil or quads or tools - anything they can find. Police say they can't do much because they're short staffed.

When I said, 'you can take reasonable precautions like locking the door, putting valuables away. But if it happens, it happens' that is not trivialising the impact of thievery.

I agree with @atom4488 'Take reasonable measures commensurate with the value of what you are trying to protect and rely on insurance.'

Back in 1999, a farmer living in rural East Anglia got fed up with youths coming on his farm to steal and one night he shot two of them in his house - one dead, the other seriously injured. Conflicting evidence on whether he took the youths into his house to try, find guilty and punish them as extra-judicial 'justice'. He was tried for murder and intent to murder, found guilty by a jury and sent to prison. However after lots of legal appeals, he ended up being released after only serving about three years.

The case sparked a lot of debate about how people can defend their own property when the Police appear unable to and there was a lot of sympathy for the farmer. But given the opportunity to think about the question, most people in Britain remain firmly against vigilantes and shooting intruders.
In Florida as well as the entire South, we have castle doctrine. If you enter a dwelling illegally, you can be dealt with using deadly force, period. We also have "Stand your Ground" which simply means that as long as you are in a place that you are legally allowed to be, then you have no duty to retreat. Most Americans don't consider it vigilante justice to deal violence against an intruder or someone who comes at you with deadly force.

Vic, sorry to hear about this loss. What a huge pain in the ass, and loss of time for you to deal with the BS system, only for no to little results for your efforts. Brutal the way the local cops are handling this. Thieves and liars. I hate them the most. Even though I do like the idea of some asshole stepping on nails and screws etc when he is trespassing on your property to steal something, it is true and shocking how the property owning victims end up in legal trouble in our country. I hope you're able to get some resolution through insurance without added cost to you.

The reality is that you'll never make anything completely burglary-proof.
My Dad was fond of saying "A lock will keep and honest man honest...period."
You can make it harder or easier on a thief.... but he's still gonna do what a thief does.

Same thing cropped up here.
In spite of the law being changed a bit, there's no downturn in the number of caravan-utilising nomadic traders helping themselves to farm implements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Ward

As civilisation becomes ruled by vice, the honest folks get "asset striped"... the Hebrews say that if you fail to teach a boy a trade, then you're teaching him to be a thief.

It may not stay that way, by our local sheriff fellas turn out for even the dope-raving paranoid calls, and they recover bicycles to owners...and often take the rowdy kids home for a spanking by poppa. Not that they are pussies...they'll shoot a man dead...but generally show great restraint. It's not Mayberry RFD, but close. There is often distant sounds of back-yard skeet shooting. Very reassuring.

We do lock up, but then it's bad form to place a rock in the path of the blind... And never has anything been stole from us in 30+ years.

Trouble with cameras is that if thief has accident, the cops want to see the video... better no camera ;)

Good luck amigo...

cool irrelevant cartoon>
1696099970806.png

My Dad was fond of saying "A lock will keep and honest man honest...period."
You can make it harder or easier on a thief.... but he's still gonna do what a thief does.
Any window is as good as open door
pop the window unlatch it crawl through and open any door you want
I don't have any windows facing the neighbors garage and run security lights on the other 3 sides ( it makes me feel better but won't deter thieves if they want my stuff )

I don't have any windows facing the neighbors garage and run security lights on the other 3 sides ( it makes me feel better but won't deter thieves if they want my stuff )
My shop has no windows, pretty much can't be seen from the road and can only be accessed by a wooded path. People around here tend to leave others alone (1 known burglary in the 17 years I've been here) I think partially because there is a fear of instant justice. Having said that, I always keep my garage and shed doors closed so as not to advertise what I have, should someone come onto the property.

My shop has no windows, pretty much can't be seen from the road and can only be accessed by a wooded path. People around here tend to leave others alone (1 known burglary in the 17 years I've been here) I think partially because there is a fear of instant justice. Having said that, I always keep my garage and shed doors closed so as not to advertise what I have, should someone come onto the property.
I have a bad habit of leaving my garage door open while I’m working on something. Anyone walking or driving by can see what I have in there. I’d better get in the habit of keeping closed.

I have a bad habit of leaving my garage door open while I’m working on something. Anyone walking or driving by can see what I have in there. I’d better get in the habit of keeping closed.
Same here. Sometimes I'll be gone for an hour with it open. Guess I should rethink that....
One thing in my favor is I live at the bottom of a dead end street. Not much in the way of traffic.

Which is precisely why my shop has no windows.

About all you can do is make it less attractive to thieves. Well lit, at least somewhat difficult to break into, don't advertise the contents. Unless they know you have something they REALLY want, at least some of them will move on to easier pickings.

As I've said before, most of my neighbors and certainly the sketchy ones, know that lump under my shirt ain't my cell phone.

Back