I think I ruined my carb's with PineSol

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I did the Pinesol dip thing. After about 2 hour's I checked on things. It looked like it was turning it black. So I left it over night. No better. Since I didn't dis-assemble the carb, like I had read others saying they didn't,,I thought it was gasket material.

So I tried some fresh Pinsol. No different. Then I tried some Berrymans carb dip. No different. I let it sit in the Berrymans for about 3 hour's. If I scrub it with a brush, it will come off. But there's no way I can get to it all.

Here's what sucks. I believe that the black is not a contaminant, but I think it is a factory plating. I think I ruined them.

The way I see it I have a few option's.

1. Let them soak in the Berrymans for a lot longer. But it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

2. I have some paint stripper I could try, but I'm kinda afraid to.

3. I can try soda blasting them. But I'll have to buy the soda, and that's going to be awhile.

You guy's ever run into this before. I'm open for suggestion's. :( Thanks.

The lighter gray color is what is under the darker stuff that I think is some kind of plating.

full

full

were they solid black when you started? blacked out carbs on a hertage special? I would soda blast them. I haven't heard of pinsol dip. When i cleaned mine up, I only soaked the float bowls, slides, floats and jets.. on the bodys, i used carb cleaner spray.

No. They were not black. They looked like your everyday BS38. The Pinesol did this. Weather or not is has anything to do with not taking them apart is un-known.

This is what they looked like before.
full

I've used Pinesol to soak and clean carbs for years. Often I fill my ultrasonic with it and clean carb parts that way. It is an excellent carb cleaner and in my experience does NOT harm rubber parts. However, it will remove the black paint on Heritage carbs. So if you like the blackout look I would suggest using another cleaner. In my experience it has never "ruined" or harmed any carb I've used it on. I completely strip the carb I'm working on, soaking every piece. Sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, all depending on condition.
BTW I use it straight out of the bottle. I do NOT dilute it.

I've used Pinesol to soak and clean carbs for years. Often I fill my ultrasonic with it and clean carb parts that way. It is an excellent carb cleaner and in my experience does NOT harm rubber parts. However, it will remove the black paint on Heritage carbs. So if you like the blackout look I would suggest using another cleaner. In my experience it has never "ruined" or harmed any carb I've used it on. I completely strip the carb I'm working on, soaking every piece. Sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, all depending on condition.
BTW I use it straight out of the bottle. I do NOT dilute it.

So what do you think I have going on here. Do you think that is some kind of plating coming off:confused: Or do you think it is a contaminant.

I've never cleaned carbs from the 750, but I can't imagine they would be much different. Maybe Yamaha plated the bodies. To me, they look weathered /almost corroded. I clean 650 carbs, engine parts, lawnboy carbs, lawn tractor carbs, chain saw carbs, you name it. I've never had the look you've got. Maybe someone that knows the 750 could jump in here. Did those carbs have a different finish?

This is what they looked like when I brought it home. It had been sitting since 1985.

full

That happened to mine on another bike when I soaked them in lemon juice. The chalky color is from the acid in the pinesol (and lemon juice) and is a normal process. After you remove the carbs from the pinesol, you need to immediately rinse them with water or even dunk them in a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid, otherwise it will do what yours did.

looks like those carbs were painted with something like eastwoods carb renew I also use pinesol full strength with never a problem you'll probably have to blast them then use carb renew

looks like those carbs were painted with something like eastwoods carb renew I also use pinesol full strength with never a problem you'll probably have to blast them then use carb renew

What's carb renew?

carb renew is a paint made for carbs here is link to it http://www.eastwood.com/carb-renew-2-silver-aerosol-5-oz.html I have used it with pretty good results. carbs come from the factory with a thin plating that when removed you have to paint or something as the aluminum bodies will look like hell in no time. I blasted a carb with glass beads looked great at first then it started to oxidize so i re-blasted then used the renew product still looks good this is on a vintage motocross bike that see's a lot of mud and pressure washing

something in the carb reacted with the pinesol then coated everything. pinesol WILL dissolve cadmium plating.

i blasted mine , and yes i think they are oxidizing. What is carb renew? where do you get it? i guess i'll google it.

Back