A little bit of rubbing with a shop towel and I think I might have gotten the vin!

JYA5V4000CA002971

Now the question of whether to print out all the documents for getting a copy of lost title and texting/hassling PO about signing, maybe slip in $50 or something to sweeten the deal, or just go the route of attempting a bonded title.

Posted via Mobile

Hey guys, new to forum. Love all the great info. I have a couple of questions about an unknown motor that I own. The serial #s are 5V4-107xxx. Also, is this a 447 motor? Thanks, any info is mucho appreciated! Scotty D

Hey guys, I was looking at the pdf that INXS posted on the front page.
Am I supposed to have an exact match on that pdf to figure out what bike I have or do you figure if your number ranges between two serial numbers that would be the year you have?

I have these serials:
777103686 - Thinking this is XSB 74/75?

447209206 - Thinking this is XSC 75/76?

Am I correct or far off?

In the chart I use your first number is a B model. your second nuber is not an XS number. 777 was not used. If it's a 447 number then it's a C model.
The chart were it says 74/75 or 75/76 is the year of manufacture. The manufactring year is july of one year to August of the next year. As in July of 74 to Aug of 75 are 75 model years. In july of 75 they are 76's.
On the numbers, the listing is the first number used that year. On your 447 103686 the first number that year was 100101, so your bike is 103686 - 100101 = 3585 or you bike was the 3585th bike made that year.
The 209206 is the 9105th bike that year.
Leo

Thanks again for the help Leo. That second number was supposed to be 447 also. I checked the engine on the second bike and it looks like its an 81 damn it. Wish the builder who sold me the bike mentioned that.

The 81 engine isn't much different than the 75/76 engine. The main thing is the cam chain adjuster. The rest is pretty much the same.
It is nice to have matching numbers but not nessesary.
Leo

Not state side. In some places they were. Here they went to the TCI in 80.
But the engine year don't really matter as the ignitions can be swapped from early to late with just a few screws.
Leo

So is it a lot easier to mess with the timing or do you at all when your tuning your bike?
A lot of guys are saying that you want to adjust your can chain, adjust valve, timing and then work on your carbs. If you have a TCI do you omit that step? Hey thanks for answering all these questions. I appreciate it. I'm learning a ton.

With the TCI you just check the timing with a light, at idle and 3500 rpms, just to make sure it's right.
Leo

hey guys im trying to use the charts to figure what year my bike is, the guy i bought it off thought it was a 80 but i think it might be a 77 the vin is 447 704396. thanks for the help

i picked up a motor saturday and im try'n to find out what it came out of The #'s are 2F0-101025 can anyone help?

If you look in the XS650 TECH section you will find links to charts to find the year by VIN.
Leo

[]Re: ID your Model yamaha xs650

hello, i just picked up a yamaha xs650, stamped w/ serial # S 650-020499. I'm having trouble finding specific model, year and such.

thanks in advance.

charlie

yamadog650, the post above you is where you start. link to the thread at bottom of the page and the PDF file will have all the no's

Whats goin on guys .... im trying to figure out what i can from this vin/serial number on my bike ... just looking for some help...i read the chart that was posted and im not following it ... thanks for the help\\

2fo-252657

On that chart, engine numbers are on the right. Just scroll down and you will find a 2F0- 250101 listed in two places. The first is the 79 F model. The second is the 78 Special II. Both of these models used the engine numbers starting at 2F0-250101.
If your bike has the 16 spoke rear wheel, 19 spoke front with an alloy rim with out the flanges then it's the Special II, the Special's used mag wheels.
What year does your title say it is?
In the column titled year is the manufacture dates. If you still have the white sticker and you can read it, it gives you the month and year it was made. This column tells that.
Leo

The chart from biker.net has them listed........... 79 SF 2FO-250101.....79 SII 4FO-250101. Both of these are Specials.

The Tech menu chart lists the 79F 2F0-020101, (US model Standard) another 79F 4F0-250101 (Standard), and a XSE SII 79 4F0-250101, (Special).

The discrepancies are creating some confusion. The Special II started in 79 in the US as i understand

Last edited:
Back