If you need a multi-meter...

jussumguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
image.png
Harbor Freight is giving them away, just print this coupon!

Dang - that's a good deal! Does it have an audio signal function?

I got one at Canadian Tire on sale for $29.95 (reg. was I think either $69 or $89) and it has an audio signal on the Ohm meter function. That is worthwhile when you are checking ignition timing statically (the method for this is elsewhere on the XS650 website).

It sounds like a gimmick, but the audio signal means that when the breaker points JUST open, the meter beeps - and you can be watching the timing mark on the alternator rotor instead of trying to watch both the meter and mark.

No. They have two meters like that, one has a backlight the other doesn't.
To get the buzzer you need to step up to the $24 meter. It also comes with a contact temp probe. With the right accessories it can read sound levels. It can read frequency too. Just don't recall how.
I like those little meters so well I got the $24 one. It is much larger, has a tilting readout and is rubber armored.
Leo

the wire leads break easily!
If they break at the metal part of the probe, after you solder it back cram some silicone sealer around it before you screw it back in. Keeps the solder joint on the thin wire from twisting and flexing and breaking. Worked for me on a different cheap meter.

I just picked up a craftsman 7 function meter for $10 last week at sears. It's $10 more than the centech one, but worth $30 more

When something is cheap some part has to substandard. The first thing the quality goes on is the leads. I have bought cheap volt meters then found the heavier better quality leads off my analog continuity tester gave better more consistent readings on the new meter. Also the resistance is lower when touching the probes together

Have to spend a bit more on some tools and these are one of them.

I have 5 or 6 of those meters and have also given a few away to others. They're not the best meter that I own but they are great for tool kits and I've never had one go bad.

Scott

I ended up getting the Crafstman one because I had two HF ones go bad, almost at the same time. I had a coupon for another free one but drove past the store to go to Sears.

I'm a frequent flier at HFT, so I've a pile (literally) of their freebies. I keep one of these meters stashed all over the place. The tool boxes, camping box, the car. If one breaks (yeah, usually the leads), I toss it and grab another one. Or just the leads. Free is always good. The best tools are the ones you have with you when you need them...

The problem with crap multi meters, or any testing tool, is when you have to spend time figuring out if the tool is broken instead of figuring out what you are trying to fix in the first place

Sometimes you'll want to connect a meter in continuity mode to different ends of something and jiggle the wires to see if they either make or break contact (a short or an open). The meter needs to be able to detect a make or break that lasts only milliseconds or less and some meters cannot do that. Anytime I encounter a new meter I put it in that mode and glance the probes together as quickly as possible. It should always beep no matter how brief or light the contact of the probes to each other.

Back