ignition help

catastrophe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok ao i have a 1981 xs650. its missing everthing electrical on it. i know it came with a tci box and ran an electricel ignition set up. first question is how good the boyer brand ignition system is compared to the pamco set up? also by getting the boyer set up does that take place of the tci box? and last if i get the pamco set up, i dont see a package with a tci box or ignitor box, so can i run a stock tci with that? i am leaning toward pamco but i am lacking further knowledge of the brand due to this is my first xs.

Click on "Tech" at the top of the page...............look under "Electrical"...........lots of info on Pamco and on TCI and Boyer.

TCI was very good when it was new...............but now the circuit boards are all old and heat/vibration is causing faults, so reliability comes into question.

Pamco works very well, its design is modern and very compact...........price is reasonable.
You would have to buy the mechanical advance unit since your bike does not have one. Kits are sold by Mikesxs.com. Pamcopete gives superior customer service.

Boyer has a good reputation, no mechanical advance required, but its more expensive.

What electrical parts do you have? any? I would, and did, go with the Pamco on my setup. You don't have to worry about any digital boxes, TCI boxes.... nothing. You will need to buy the advance mechanism and advance rod from MikesXS or someone on here might help you out. http://www.yamahaxs650.com

Also, with the Boyer, you NEED 12v to keep it running. Since you have no idea (I assume) if the charging system is any good, Pete said that a Pamco can crank on as little as 3V but 6V will crank it for sure with a kick start. If you want, you can even run a capacitor or very small 12V battery and use kick only:thumbsup:

What harness are you gonna run? If you build your own harness it is cake. The Pamco has 3 wires,2 to the coil and a ground.

The Boyer and the Pamco are both fine systems. The Pamco needs the ATU for it to work and the Boyer does not(or so I read in the forums). The Pamco is small and and self contained, needs 3 wires hooked up to work. I've been running a Pamco on my '80 for 2 months and couldn't be more pleased with it. Pete backs up his unit with first rate support. He's answered my PM's quickly of any questions I had with his product. It installed quickly and easily. I never run a Boyer so I cannot do a direct comparison.

The only electrical that's on the bike is the coil. I am leaning toward the pamco kit. So do I still need a tci box or does the pamco replace that all together

No TCI componet needed. ATU, yes from a pre '80 motor.

Ok so I am looking at the kit on mikesxs for pamco part number 14-0902. Is that all I would need? Thanks for your help by the way. Its greatly appreiciated.

That will do the job. For a few more $$$ go for the 14-0912. Money well spent.

MikesXS is out of the Pamco kits right now. They are said to be waiting on some advance mechanisms to have the complete kit. If you ask over in the classifieds or maybe someone here, you can find an ATU and rod for your setup. Then all you have to order is the Basic ignition from Pete.

Pete recommended I get the "Ultimate" coil instead of the "Green Monster" because it is less likely to self-destruct from a plug wire being left off or accidental disconnect.

SO, you need:
Part #14-0652 and Part #14-0650 ( from someone on here or fleabay)

17-6903-XS Pamco "Ultimate" Coil
14-0653-Drive Pin for Auto Advance & Point cam
05-0032-(3) Brass bushings
23-2906-XS Perf. yellow silicone Plug Wire Set(2)
23-3113-NGK Plug Cap - LB05FP 5k Resistor

The Pamco takes the place of the TCI, which is the ignition. Transistor Controlled Ignition. The 0902 is fine. I wouldn't go to big since this is your first XS. I will ask though, before you spend the money, what condition is the engine in? When was the last time it ran? Are all the parts there?

I wouldn't blindly drop $200.00 + before you take inventory of what you have. There are a bunch of people with a whole bunch of brand new, top of the line parts all in boxes and nothing they actually need to get it running. A guy up the street has 2 XS's with all the fixin's. Pamco, PM, ect, but no compression.

Last edited:
Yep. He's got some real nice garage ornaments. 2 XS's, a Honda, 2 4-wheelers, and a boat. Not one of them runs, but he's got all kinds of stuff for them. Waste of money.

Yeah the motor has good compression but due to the fact it hasn't ran in over 10 years from what I was told I am doing a rebuild on the motor. Everything is there mechanical wise just not electrical. That's why I am working toward what ignition I am going for. Still not really sure I have been hearing differently from people.

I have a TCI and it works great. However, if it ever goes up I am getting a Pamco, basic 14-0902. I plan to go to a permanent magnet sometime and will have to get rid of the TCI, which I will get a Pamco.
I like the fact it is very basic, set and forget, I don't think anyone who has it has anything bad to say, and if you have a question, just ask Pamco Pete. He's on here.

My 79 came with a Boyer when I bought it. No advance unit needed,(or to mess with), and works great. Very, very simple system.

Back