Ignition Questions

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
as you know got an XS650 SE (basket Case). engine is now rebuilt ready to be fitted in the frame, Carbs all fully rebuilt and ready to go.
Ignition with the bike is standard TDI.
I wanted to bench test the ignition connecting the pickups, TDI box and connecting in a battery, with a multimeter connected between the orange Neutral to Coil TDI box outlet and the Neutral from the battery.
I was expecting to see continuity (zero resistance) with the battery connected and then disconnection when I passed a small magnet across the pick-ups. I was originally showing no connectivity and then fluctuation after the a minute or so and occasionally impacted by the magnet passing - in summary not a positive result:
1. I'm getting the correct resistance across bot pick-up coils
2. All connections are visible (bench connected)
3. Battery voltage good
4. Taken into account that connectivity goes into sleep mode if no magnet activation

As i've just rebuilt the motor, I dont want to be messing around turning over the engine, without firing it, as this will be before proper lubrication will have taken place.

I do have full points set up, in my spares (Just in case I put Bearings in my 82 Camshaft), I will need a Condenser pack, but thats quite cheap.
But I only have the single coil for the TDI ignition, can I use this and just connect both the points Neutral connection to the single coil Neutral connection, basically giving it a wasted spark.
This would allow me to get the engine running and lubricated, so I can play with the ignition later - I have Gonzo GN250 TDI box on order

Thanks guys

I have read here on the forum that the inside of the later cams are not Machined to take the Bushing for points Advance rod . it can crack if inserting .Please Check

I can relate to your worries about turning the motor over without starting it, but the lubrication should be fine. When I fitted a low mileage motor to my XS, which had not been run for many years, on the suggestion of wise people on this forum, I squirted some oil in the valve covers to make sure there was some in the head area. Then I kicked the bike over, key off, for quite a long time to get oil all around.

I have read here on the forum that the inside of the later cams are not Machined to take the Bushing for points Advance rod . it can crack if inserting .Please Check
Hey Jan,
I measured the inside of the Cam and got the correct size needle bearings (like the early bikes had) I fitted them while the cam was off the engine, no issues, but will check.
Not too worried, as this will only be a temp measure to get the engine running
Thanks

I can relate to your worries about turning the motor over without starting it, but the lubrication should be fine. When I fitted a low mileage motor to my XS, which had not been run for many years, on the suggestion of wise people on this forum, I squirted some oil in the valve covers to make sure there was some in the head area. Then I kicked the bike over, key off, for quite a long time to get oil all around.
Hi Raymond,
My plan was to get as much oil in the pump/oilways/head as practical before turning over already have assembly grease on the cams and followers. My main concern is splash feed (never liked the idea) for the Bores/Pistons etc.
If anyone can confirm if I can use the TDI coils for the points, I'd still like to go down that route, so i can get the engine running as soon as possible - Its been a looong build up!
Thanks
Barrie

Hey Jan,
I measured the inside of the Cam and got the correct size needle bearings (like the early bikes had) I fitted them while the cam was off the engine, no issues, but will check.
Not too worried, as this will only be a temp measure to get the engine running
Thanks
Yes Sir Not sure if I have seen or heard this solution
Can be something for the tech section.
I have an 80 that had points from the start Is has a Bushing .No Bearing . and the cam end inside is machined for it
Press fit
As I understand it if you take that bushing hammer it in into a post 80 cam in the US ( Not machined for it )
The cam end can crack
Taking this out of memory
But if there is a needle bearing fitting into post 80 I have heard of others here that is interested going to Points on a Post 80 bike

Back