Help! 81 special sparks once.

I have a sneaking feeling that I already fried something with my earlier pre-forum futzing
around. Anyway, long day. Taking a break from the beast tonight. It’ll be there in the morning. Charging bike’s battery for the next round.
Seriously considering an aftermarket ignition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 46
Sorry, out of town and on my phone. Be able to help again tomorrow evening.

Friday Night. Still no spark. Battery’s charged to 13.5v. Still seeing a drop (10.5v ) at the red coil wire which seems to travel through the ignition switch. Could that be the cause? Ran a lead straight from the battery to the coil. (Late night desperation) same single spark thing. Question? Could this all be the TPI? Is there anyone out there who could test it for me? Anyone know a source for a working box that I could try? How about the sending unit where the points once lived? Anyone on the forum test and repair these things. My wife’s now riding without me.

Yep, the Gonzo box is a cheap, easy way to test your TCI box... or more correctly, test AROUND it. I've got a pigtail for the Gonzo I didn't know I had. Thought I'd sold 'em all... anyway...
I've got a Gonzo box and pigtail I'm gonna turn into a loaner set for troubleshooting. It's all plug and play. Plug the pigtail into your bikes harness and hit the starter button. How easy is that?

If it starts and runs, your TCI box is bad. There's a few here that fix 'em, but lets cross that bridge when we get there. Send me a PM and I'll arrange for this "loaner" set delivered to your door.

1694216875628.png

Yep, the Gonzo box is a cheap, easy way to test your TCI box... or more correctly, test AROUND it. I've got a pigtail for the Gonzo I didn't know I had. Thought I'd sold 'em all... anyway...
I've got a Gonzo box and pigtail I'm gonna turn into a loaner set for troubleshooting. It's all plug and play. Plug the pigtail into your bikes harness and hit the starter button. How easy is that?

If it starts and runs, your TCI box is bad. There's a few here that fix 'em, but lets cross that bridge when we get there. Send me a PM and I'll arrange for this "loaner" set delivered to your door.

View attachment 251064

View attachment 251064
Hey Jim Yeah I’m in. Not sure how to pm. :)

View attachment 251064
Hi Jim, saw this post. My bike will start but when I throttle it stumbles. I checked the spark at it looks like it stops sparking when I accelerate. Not sure if it is an ignition problem but would love to borrow your gonzo. I cant pm you because I dont have enough posts. I live in ozark, mo. Thanks

5 is the magic number to send PM's. You're one away. Resopnd to this comment and you're there.
It's currently loaned out here. When you can, send me a PM as a reminder.
Fwiw, what you describe is indeed one of the (many) symptoms of a bad ignighter box.

5 is the magic number to send PM's. You're one away. Resopnd to this comment and you're there.
It's currently loaned out here. When you can, send me a PM as a reminder.
Fwiw, what you describe is indeed one of the (many) symptoms of a bad ignighter box.
Thanks

Back