ignition....

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,, i,m new,, and i am going thru. my second childhood,,, anyway,,, i,ve got a 1976 xs650 yam.. which is gloss black and polished alloy rims and motor,,thanks to autosol,,, if i look at putting a pamco electronic ignition on my bike which model would i pick and which side do i mount the coil,, are theres good instructions with the ignition set up to help me instal it ,,,finally how do they perform,,, ,i,ve been fooling the site for a while and really enjoy the wide spread experience on the site .. hope you can help me regads oldbiker

I used Mike's 14-0914 on my 77. Pamcopete really stands behind his product so you can't go wrong. This is how I installed the ultimate coil on mine using a few homemade parts. The performance so far has been great but I only managed to get about 500mi on this season.

Attachments

• IMG_0773 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0773 (1024x768).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0769 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0769 (1024x768).jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 116
If you could post a diagram with dimensions it would be great for the tech section!
I could have used that a few weeks ago! That looks a lot cleaner than the ground clamps.

Sorry but I don't have the dimensions but it's super easy to make. The stock coil bracket has a lip on the bottom that should be ground off so the new plate sits flat underneath.I used 1/4" material for the new plate.Leave the plate long enough to mount the standoffs. The standoffs are just those coupler nuts for threaded rod. Lay your piece of metal underneath the stock bracket and mark the holes from the new bracket to the old. Bolt the coupler nuts to the coil and set the coil in place and mark and drill the holes to mount it. I used locking nuts on all of the bolts to make sure it stays put. You can get as fancy as you want as far as shaping the plate to match the contours of the original.

It works out well and pretty much centers the coil under the tank. Plenty of room on both sides between the tank tunnel and the coil.

Great mount Grinder. I would reverse the mounting bolts if you lose the nut the bolt may stay long enough for a fix. TC

I used those locking nuts with the nylon insert so I figured it didn't matter as those haven't loosened up on me with other projects I've used them on.

grinder,

That is a very elegant mounting bracket. Makes it look like the coil came from the factory!

How's that coil working for you? I didn't dyno test my '81/H, but I did a couple of runs for gas mileage because that also shows increases in engine efficiency which equates to more horsepower.

Here are the results:

iridium.jpg

You'll notice the 10% jump when I installed the 17-6903 coil the same one you are using.

I recently got one of the setups with this coil from Mike's. I am very happy with the ignition! In the process now of Permanant magnet charging system, thanks to Hugh...and blind stumbling, I may have come up with an alternate waaay cheaper flywheel. I won't say what it is off of till I know it will work for sure. Hugh has one too....One of us will post the results soon.

Pete,
The coils been working good. Starts first or second kick cold all the time. Just got my bike done this fall so only about 500 miles this year, but looking foward to a long riding season next year.

grinder,

I posted your method of mounting the 17-6903 coil on my web site, with credit. Hope you don't mind, but it is such an elegant method that I thought others could benefit from your idea.

Back