Inner cam bushings go in the same spot

Young blood

XS650 Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how to get the inner cam bushings out of the camshaft? I have the needle bearing upgrades from mikes because my bushings were worn pretty bad. I'm assuming those go in the same spot as the original bushings. Thanks in advance.

There are lots of ways to go about it. 1.) Pull the bushing with a small expanding collet puller. 2.) Snag the bushing on a drill bit and pull it out. 3.) Run a tap into the bushing, set a rod, long screwdriver, etc. against the tap, and knock tap and bushing out. (Solutions 2. and 3. are courtesy of Mark Whitebook of Probe Engineering, whose fine ignition system is no longer in production due to folks who spend big on chrome and paint and buy cheap when it comes to essential systems.)

Last edited:
There are lots of ways to go about it. 1.) Pull the bushing with a small expanding collet puller. 2.) Snag the bushing on a drill bit and pull it out. 3.) Run a tap into the bushing, set a rod, long screwdriver, etc. against the tap, and knock tap and bushing out. (Solutions 2. and 3. are courtesy of Mark Whitebook of Probe Engineering, whose fine ignition system is no longer in production due to folks who spend big on chrome and paint and buy cheap when it comes to essential systems.)
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that. I just don't want to damage the labyrinth seals. Although they could probably handle a scratch or two because the shaft doesn't ride on them.

Back