Installing a small Batwing Fairing on a 1980 XS650

lonzo22

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I love my Bike but, finding Something to make it more comfortable such as a trunk or saddlebags is a pain in the ass for the most part. I have done a lot of up grades Like 2 up Saddlemens seat and and Triumph Bonneville handlebars. I bought a windshield off of ebay fairly cheap to make a long story short the wind blew the bike over the windshield broke it:(. But, on the upside I had a set of handlebar mounts for the windshield left.
So Then I started hunting for a fairing when I could find one the price was either cheap and shipping high or visa versa.
Enter the Matzua Batwing Fairing.

IMG_0741.jpg

1st it was not cheap but was reasonable $119. shipping $18 the shipping was the downside it took 12 days to get to Ga via UPS talk about a slow ride that was it.

As I looked it over it only had 4 mounting points 2 at top 1 on top left notice the 2 holes close to each other 1 for the mount 1 for the windshield.

IMG_0742.jpg

and the same on the right

IMG_0743.jpg

1 on the left side of the headlight

IMG_0744.jpg

1 on the right side of the headlight

IMG_0745.jpg

So there in was the problem the top I used the articulated handle bar mounts.

IMG_0739.jpg

and

IMG_0740.jpg

The headlight did not sit on top of the head light so I split a 3/8" gas line and made it into a gasket to fit up against the headlight bezel, that way it absorbed shock.

IMG_0746.jpg

So far the bottom what to do? Shopped the local shop to no avail and decided to go to the Ace Hardware. The stems on the headlight are fairly solid I thought i would try to get some type of u saddle with a bolt that runs down at the top.
I found a ground wire electrical saddle it only came in brass that fit from 1/2 to 1 "
with a 1/4" screw at the top. The next thing I bought was an 1/4" eyebolt to give it some adjustability. To this i added a rubber grommet to fit the fairing bolt through and fender washers, to add rigidity and keep the bolt from pulling out. I also picked up rubber washers for the fasteners to fit on either side of the fairing and stainless steel washer and lock washers.

IMG_0737.jpg

the eye bolt gives it the adjustability and lock it down with the nut.

IMG_0738.jpg

Then you mock it up with top mounts

IMG_0748.jpg

Fasten the bottom bolts and it looks something like this the windshield is smoked one can still see over the top. IT BLOCKS A LOT OF AIR. If you have ever ridden in fog
you will appreciate that.

IMG_0750.jpg

:thumbsup:

It doesn't have and inner fairing but I use water proof mounts for gps and iphone to listen to music via bluetooth.
:doh: 1 thing I forgot to mention but, before I put the mounts on I wrapped rubber tape around the handlebar and the around the turn signal stems. I don't have to tell you about the vibration, however, the rubber electrical insulation tape helps keep the mounts from moving without scarring the handlebars or stems. :bike:

Looks good and shows you how versatile XS650s can be, Cafe, Bobber, Chopper, Stock, Street Tracker and Light Tourer.

I do think I'd find a better way to locate the lower fairing brackets to the fork tubes or covers rather than the signal stalks. The signal stalks seem to be made from some inferior metal and are much more fragile than one would think, they may crack with the extra stress and vibration placed on them by the fairing at 65 mph.

Looks good and shows you how versatile XS650s can be, Cafe, Bobber, Chopper, Stock, Street Tracker and Light Tourer.

I do think I'd find a better way to locate the lower fairing brackets to the fork tubes or covers rather than the signal stalks. The signal stalks seem to be made from some inferior metal and are much more fragile than one would think, they may crack with the extra stress and vibration placed on them by the fairing at 65 mph.

It is possible you are correct. Airtech makes a mount that goes between the stem and headlight with a slider. I have tried to minimize the shock with the rubber mountings so far they are holding up well. But, it is subject to change with out notice, the 1 constant of the xs.
thanx for your thoughts, it is helpful.

If you have ever ridden in fog you will appreciate that.

I used to have to frequently go through dense fog while it was still dark. The first time I barely couldn't see anything so I raised my visor which fogged my glasses so I went the next couple of miles with my visor up and my glasses down on my nose. Eyeballs don't fog up. From then on when I got to that place I would just raise my visor and put my glasses down on my nose :)

Sometimes I think about getting a windshield something like this. Not too massive, and a good fit, but I don't know what it is.

Attachments

• windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 186
I used to have to frequently go through dense fog while it was still dark. The first time I barely couldn't see anything so I raised my visor which fogged my glasses so I went the next couple of miles with my visor up and my glasses down on my nose. Eyeballs don't fog up. From then on when I got to that place I would just raise my visor and put my glasses down on my nose :)

Sometimes I think about getting a windshield something like this. Not too massive, and a good fit, but I don't know what it is.

try this link on utube read the box it is a small windshield ws1 handlebar mount.

it is very light weight. so so on blocking the wind. you can set it where you can see over it. at least it is a good start.

Several years ago, was mounting a gps. Local bicycle shop had a box FULL of unused/unwanted seatpost reflector mounts, with fitted rubber gaskets. They gave me about 6 sets, various types, fit 7/8" bars fine. Another option...

Several years ago, was mounting a gps. Local bicycle shop had a box FULL of unused/unwanted seatpost reflector mounts, with fitted rubber gaskets. They gave me about 6 sets, various types, fit 7/8" bars fine. Another option...

When it comes to the mounts free is the right price.
Mom used to say," if you keep things for 7 years, it will save you time, money, and grief when you need it again." But, who has that much storage?

Back