Intake joint gasket replacement

glennpd

4 bikes, 4 dogs, 1 wife
Reaction score
If you are like me, you probably do not look forward to removing and replacing the carb set on your later model XS650 with co-joined bodies. Sure if you remove the cam chain adjuster crown nut, and remove the carburetor joints (manifolds) the job is a treat. But removing the joints can be a problem as well if you do not have the properly shaped and sized tools for the task. However it seems that if the gasket between the joint and cylinder head were eliminated the extra clearance would make the R/R carburetor job much easier.

I noticed that on my Virago there is no gasket between the joint and head. Instead Yamaha used an o-ring to seal the faces.

Has anyone modified the XS650 carburetor joints to accept an o-ring? I would think that with the proper machining tools it would be pretty easy. Yes, I know that it is always easier for the person who has never done it, but I'm just sayin' ...

Glenn

The JBM replacement carb holders don't require a gasket I believe as they have a rubber face where it contacts the head. I used a gasket anyway though. I don't think the thickness of a paper gasket is going to make much of a difference on removing/installing the carb set.

I take my carbs (78 SE) and my buddies (80 SG) off with no problems at all. Remove the camchain nut, the dipstick, and the throttle cable bracket on the carb top. No need to remove manifolds.

yup the throttle cable bracket is what usually hangs up the most. if you twist just right they come out fairly easy, you just have to remember how you did it. and i too used a gasket between my JBM manifolds and engine.

The JBM replacement carb holders don't require a gasket I believe as they have a rubber face where it contacts the head. I used a gasket anyway though. I don't think the thickness of a paper gasket is going to make much of a difference on removing/installing the carb set.

Yes, I admit a paper gasket makes very little difference, but I think I have a non-standard gasket on my "Dirty Dog" bike.

Attachments

• XS650TanBlack view3Smaller.jpg
    XS650TanBlack view3Smaller.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 150
  • JointGasketLarge.jpg
    JointGasketLarge.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 155
  • JointGasketSmall.jpg
    JointGasketSmall.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 152
If you're referring to the white gasket in your #2 photo, yes, that is aftermarket but it's pretty much the same thickness as an original. The gasket in your #3 photo is too thin. I like the thick gasket and think it may have been part of Yamaha's original design. On many intake manifold set-ups, a thick gasket is used as a heat insulator between the motor and manifold besides just for sealing. I won't use the thin ones.

:thumbsup:
yup the throttle cable bracket is what usually hangs up the most. if you twist just right they come out fairly easy, you just have to remember how you did it. and i too used a gasket between my JBM manifolds and engine.

Yes, I think you are correct since I have never removed the throttle cable bracket before starting the carburetor wrestling match. The next time I pull the carbs I will first remove the cable bracket and then see how much easier they come out.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments about the proper gasket.

Glenn

That and the butterfly shaped plate that is on top of the carbs. They come right out.
Leo

Back