Intermittent stalling after PMA Swap

MrWilson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just finished my pma swap.

Pre-swap: the bike ran well, but wouldn't charge. I would never have to turn petcock to prime, it always started when in the on position. I believe the bike has an aftermarket petcock as it only has reserve, prime, and on positions. There was no vacuum line running to the carb. In fact, the vacuum was only capped on the right side and open on the left.

Post-swap: the bike runs well, intermittently. It will only start in prime position. Set fuel back to on position after start and it runs well for short period of time. Then eventually bogs down and stalls (usually when slowing to a stop). Also, I should mention that it would only run smoothly after I capped the open vacuum on the left side.

My thinking is that i may have damaged the petcock when removing/storing the tank during pma install? Or possibly damaged something in the carbs when removing the airbox (i was a little rough with it...)?

In researching the forums for similar issues someone had mentioned that there could be gas in the oil. I did check the oil and the level seemed higher than normal. I didn't think to smell the oil to confirm, but I definitely will when I get back to it.

I'm not really sure where to start with diagnosis on this... rebuild/replace the petcock? carbs? could the new ignition be tied into this somehow?

You mention new ignition, a PMA is not ignition, it's charging only. What year is your bike?

Did you do the Pamco first before the PMA install? And did you correctly time the engine after putting in the Pamco? Sounds like maybe a timing issue.

Sure, when you install the PMA you want to try and keep it at TDC. If you got the HHB PMA it comes with the sticker for TDC, Fire, etc. I'd for sure check it again. It's the quickest possibility to check out. Then move on to carbs, peacock etc if the problem persists.

Back