is a throttle plate gap normal?

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just replaced the butterfly valve shaft seals on a set of BS34s and as I was putting the carbs back together I noticed that the throttle plates don't quite close all of the way, there is a gap. I looked at my old BS38s and they closed much more tightly but on one carb I could see a little gap. Is this normal??? :confused:

jwGp.jpg

It depends. That could just be your idle speed setting showing there. As you screw in the idle speed adjuster screw, that's what it does. It opens the butterfly plates more and that increases your idle speed. If you have the screw out all the way so it's not touching the cable arm and still see that crack of light, the plates weren't centered properly after your shaft seal install and are binding in the bores.

To bench sync your carbs before install, adjust the sync screw so the cracks of light match on each carb. Your old BS38s are out of sync because of the mismatched plate openings.

Thanks man, I just fixed it and nearly had a heart attack and blew my brains out when I stripped one of the loctited screws and my easy-out and could only drill it out IN PIECES :doh:. Thankfully its all back together with no gaps. GOD that was too much, enough with the damn carbs already!

Back