Jets and needles

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So
I'm going to put pods on soon, and I'm wondering if someone can help me select the right size main jets, pilot jet, and needle selection?
I live in Wisconsin, and I mainly drive in the city, but do some rural and highway driving.
I saw a thread about a 140 main, 45 pilot and needle 1 notch up from the bottom. Would that setup work for me?
Sorry new to carbs. Maybe just some hints on how to get close.
I was in talks with XSJohn, but didn't get finished in time.:(:(:(:(

BS34 carbs??

I run pods and a slighlty less restrictive 2:1 exhaust 137.5 mains, 42.5 stock pilots, XS John Needles. needles you can get the CDN from MikesSX - Runs absolutely perfect, plugs (BP83ES's) nice tan color no foulling . I had 47.5 pilots, sooted plugs and it lacked midrange just kind went wush instead of zip. I'm at sea level and its 90+ here. As you elevate you need to go leaner, cooler climates back to stock BP7ES plugs. I've had 6 of these rascales over the years and always ran stock jetting. The only real issue was opening up the mixture screw a bit 2- 3 turns out. Straight pipes has a whole different set of rules.

Put the pods on and see how it runs before you change anything. I run totally stock jets with the Canadian needles with pods and and a 2-1 header into a supertrapp with no discs or endcaps and the bike runs pretty good. I could probably stand to go up a size on the main jet, but it's not really an issue.

The main point though, leave it stock and see. Then make small changes one at a time to tweak it. I spent months going through carb hell because I saw so many posts about "if you have pods and straight pipes you need x" and they were all wrong for my bike. As soon as I went back to stock jetting everything magically worked.

Thanks guys I'll try just the pods.
Are these the Canadian needles you are referring to?
Jet Needle 5IX11 -
Part #48-0661

Has anyone tried the Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit? Is it worth the money?

Last edited:
Part #48-0663 and Part #48-0662, 2 of each. Needle on middle slot. Otherwise stock, and you'll perform fine with pods/open pipes, *except* at 5k+. You *may* find you'll need to go to a larger main to fuel properly up there, but try stock first.

Thanks guys I'll try just the pods.
Are these the Canadian needles you are referring to?
Jet Needle 5IX11 -
Part #48-0661

Has anyone tried the Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit? Is it worth the money?

Skip the Heiden kit. That's what I started with and it was nothing but problems. They are way different needles, almost a quarter inch longer than the stock BS34 needles.

ya WTF is up with those needles? I had nothing but problems with that waste of money kit.I threw that crap in the trash and now just run a 140 main with stock needles and it is great. Oh ya and when I emailed mikesxs for some tech help with there kit I got nothing but cocky bs answers.

Skip the Heiden kit. That's what I started with and it was nothing but problems. They are way different needles, almost a quarter inch longer than the stock BS34 needles.

Does anyone else besides Mikes sell the CDN needles, aside form the Canadian site? I emailed Mikes and they haven't gotten back to me as to when they'll have more in stock, which is weird since their Canadian site has them in stock. Does 650central sell them? I look but didn't see them on the site.

You may not even need the adjustable needles. They come into play when you increase the main jet size so much that it's bleed-over starts to produce stumbling in the upper midrange. Then you need to adjust the needle leaner. The BS34s were set up so lean from the factory that a size or 2 up on the mains usually doesn't hurt the midrange and produce stumbling. If anything, it makes it richer and better.

Try the pods on your stock jetted carbs but I think you'll find the bike runs better, especially in the higher RPMs, if you go up one on your mains.

I used to be a big K&N fan but I recently switched to UNI pods and I like them better. I think they work better and are easier to tune for.

You may not even need the adjustable needles. They come into play when you increase the main jet size so much that it's bleed-over starts to produce stumbling in the upper midrange.
Respectfully disagree. Remember it's not just the needles you should change, but the needle jets as well. Once those two things have been changed, the bs-34 rarely needs any further tweaking. And going to a bigger main (unless you are regularly spending time above 5k) usually produces more problems than it solves, IMHO.

Back