Just a quick, dumb, is it possible question?

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
I have a 1975 xs650b that starts on one kick, idles well, and runs great through all of the gears. I have stock airboxes and standard carb settings. I ride it every day to work but my commute is 1 to 2 miles tops. I let it warm in the morning before I tear off- I feel like I go through too much gas. It's hard to gauge mpg because my commute is so short and it is always stop and go around here. Now the dumb question- If gas was somehow leaking down past the pistons (due to some undiscovered carb problem) while riding, could the bike still run so well? My plugs look great and I don't notice an increase in my oil level. Maybe the bike is just running too well now and I'm paranoid the engine is going to blow up:). Thank you all for this great site-

Is your oil level unexplainedly high? could be losing gas through the carbs into the engine from a float needle not sealing off. Would let the carbs kind of like "swallow" gas down pass the rings and into the crankcase. But that would be while it's sitting - not while running it, I don't think. Have you calc'ed your mpg's?
hope all is ok.....

oh sorry just saw you said your oil level isn't rising.... good luck.

Last edited:
Probably be hard to break 30 mpg with your normal ride. It sounds like it's OK to me.

Thanks for the quick response. I should just go on a long ride and really calculate mpg but I work 7 days a week (its great owning your own biz). My petcocks work great and I always turn them off after riding so no gas is leaking when it sits. I just wanted to make sure that something wasn't happening while riding but I think plugs would look bad if that was the case?

I don't know about Cali, but in the Northeast gasoline is reformulated in winter months with more alcohol to prevent freezing, but provides poorer mileage. But like the others say, if it ain't going in the crankcase or the ground, and the bike runs well, leave it alone.

Back