Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

If you win the suit for defamation, it proves your bird is safe, legally speaking. But only in that jurisdiction. Careful not to fly out of the county. I was only ever in a small plane with the intention of jumping out from the start, so works for me.

On another forum we were discussing flying the developing world and how it differs from flying in...well, you know, around here. I posted an experience I had back in the day and thought that you folks might get a kick out of it so here it is.

FLYING into WARRI, NIGERIA
When I was a boy I worked for Schlumberger Wireline in Warri Nigeria as an oilfield services engineer. It was my first job out of school and Nigeria really was quite a place - with all sorts of “unique” experiences nearly every day. Of all the locations in Africa, Nigeria was generally felt to be the toughest and of the Nigerian locations, the bottom of the heap was definitely, Warri.

I first went in-country in Sept. 1981. I flew in on a UTA (a French airline that specialized in “non-holiday” destinations) Douglas DC10 and landed at Murtalla Muhammad airport in Lagos. Yes, that’s the one about which the travel authorities always place warning signs in western airports stating that security arrangements “Do Not Meet International Standards” (understatement of the friggin’ century).

After a series of astounding adventures (definitely a 2-beer story) getting through customs, immigration, health inspection (why? I was in-bound, not out-bound....) and “Currency Control” (aka Currency Confiscation - I donated all of my Canadian Tire store coupons / funny money) in the main terminal, I had to retrieve my luggage which involved a fist-fight among several porters (one of whom I myself had to deck). Then I had to board a taxi to be driven to the other side of the airport to fly out to the small town of Warri via an outfit called Aero Contractors. When I got to their little terminal, I was greatly heartened to see that the planes were neat and tidy looking orange and white DHC6 Twin Otters powered by P&W Canada PT6 turboprops (pretty much like the one in the photo).

I thought, “Well, at least the engines and the aircraft will be OK.”

DHC-6-300_Twin_Otter,_AeroContractors_Nigeria_AN0236603.jpg

The pilot turned out to be a youngish Canadian guy who, I think was ex-RCAF. Things were looking up - after my experience at the main terminal. He let me do the walk-around with him and then we chatted while the other passengers boarded and I sat right behind the cockpit with a very clear view of what was going on. He told me to "enjoy the ride and not to worry about a thing". Clearly, he was trying to prepare me for something...

As we flew into Warri, the Twin Otter adopted its typical DHC nose-down attitude (it is very much a STOL airplane and not very fast) and so there was a perfect view of the approach and particularly the runway threshold out the windscreen. I noted that there was a steady steam of traffic (cars, trucks, busses, livestock, bicycles and pedestrians etc.) going back and forth across the end of the runway. I leaned into the cockpit and pointed this out to the pilot and he said, “Yeah, the local cops will come out and close the road barriers and clear everyone off just before we touch down”.

Son of a gun, that is exactly what happened. Through the windscreen while we were still airborne, I could see a cop on a bicycle. He rode out from the terminal building to the road crossing and closed some railroad style gates that were parallel to the runway axis, and then he shoo’ed all of the people, vehicles and livestock off the runway - when we were about 15 seconds away from touching down. We did land “safely” and taxied in to the Warri terminal - and then more adventures began. But...that is another story.

Flying in the developing world is truly a remarkable experience.

Pete

Last edited:
Flying in the developing world is truly a remarkable experience.
I used to ride in the cockpit all over the planet. Especially over the former Soviet block, I often wondered if the controllers actually spoke English. Or do they just know how to sound out some appropriate words. That, and being in a metric part of the world in a non metric airplane.

A historical look at attempts to build a flying saucer. I came across this today and thought it was interesting.

https://hushkit.net/2021/02/15/top-10-real-flying-saucer-aircraft/

View attachment 186071

Ahhh...the famous AVROCar - built by AV Roe in Toronto.....Canada....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

These are the same people who brought you the CF100 Canuck interceptor (think Northrop F89 - but with much bigger balls) and the AVRO CF105 Arrow (think Convair F106 Delta Dart - but again, with really big balls).

Those wacky Canadians - what next with these maple-headed mavericks?

This guy was once the youngest guy to fly around the world. I think I read that. He has a channel where he does things like fly somewhere out west and land in the road next to a hamburger stand and eat

speaking of 3rd world, here he and his friends take a lark to fly to russia and almost get in trouble

MaxPete, The stories I could tell you about the planes I've seen come thru the parts of the "Boneyard" I can see. ...On another note, I saw a A-1 and a P-51 flew over the house on their way to D-M for this weekend's Heritage Flight training. Many more aircraft to arrive.

MaxPete, The stories I could tell you about the planes I've seen come thru the parts of the "Boneyard" I can see. ...On another note, I saw a A-1 and a P-51 flew over the house on their way to D-M for this weekend's Heritage Flight training. Many more aircraft to arrive.

You are a fortunate man Rudi.
Dammit, I’m comin’ over!

Airport Full Body Scan Status Report

Finally, some useful facts are coming out about all of those airport full body scans!

FULL BODY SCANS AT AIRPORTS

TSA disclosed the following: Airport Screening Results

2016 Statistics On Airport Full Body Screening From TSA :
  • Terrorists Discovered 0
  • Hernias 1,485
  • Hemorrhoid Cases 3,172
  • Enlarged Prostates 8,249
  • Breast Implants 59,350
  • Natural Blondes 3
It was also discovered that 308 politicians had no balls.

Thought you'd like to know.

Back