Kawasaki W800

. . . Boy your inspections are strict! We have no inspections at all here were I live……and you can tell just by looking at some of the rattle traps rolling down the road!
Thank you, Bob!

Long ago, have taken bikes to places where the MoT was a lot less than strict but in recent years there has been a move by officialdom to bring about a consistent level. Tosh was frank that printing off a Fail certificate before the Pass helps his profile as a tester - 'they' would get suspicious if he only ever passed bikes and never recorded any problems or issues. I have been told the same by other testers.

Looking good Raymond, just curious looking at the drive paving, did you pilfer historic Viking Rune stones for your paving ;)
Our back yard is local folklore! Been told the story by more than one set of neighbours.

Two sets of occupants before we lived here, lady of the house decided to replace the gravel yard. Apparently she bought a paving slab floor from an old warehouse in Aberdeen - must've been demolition time. The slabs vary in size, all very thick, some are very large in area. Aberdeen is 180 miles away and these heavy slabs were transported here at huge cost. Then ferried up the back lane by fork-lift truck - the combined weight broke the drains of the neighbouring houses, which is why their arrival will not be forgotten any time soon. Further cost in repairing those drains. . .

But at least it means that instead of pushing bikes around in deep gravel - which I hate - I have a beautiful paved yard.

And the same lady was responsible for my lovely garage too. Bless her.

Today, went shopping in Galashiels. Hardly worth mentioning except it's been such a poor Summer, feels like the bikes have hardly been out on the road.

July was worst in memory across all of Britain, but in the last couple of weeks it appears from the forecast that most of the country has had somewhat better weather. But SE Scotland & NE England - no.

This afternoon, rain stopped, clouds parted, grabbed helmet & gloves and seized the opportunity for a short ride. Mebbe worth mentioning that such circumstances demonstrate once again why the W800 is the best bike in garage. Normally, Miss November would be first choice and no doubt would have done the trip, with plenty of character on show, but the nagging suspicion the engine might shut down randomly is not exactly what you need dashing out between showers.

And the Bullet is still sat in the naughty corner till I make time to look at the electrics. Again.

Last edited:
Today, went shopping in Galashiels. Hardly worth mentioning except it's been such a poor Summer, feels like the bikes have hardly been out on the road.

July was worst in memory across all of Britain, but in the last couple of weeks it appears from the forecast that most of the country has had somewhat better weather. But SE Scotland & NE England - no.

This afternoon, rain stopped, clouds parted, grabbed helmet & gloves and seized the opportunity for a short ride. Mebbe worth mentioning that such circumstances demonstrate once again why the W800 is the best bike in garage. Normally, Miss November would be first choice and no doubt would have done the trip, with plenty of character on show, but the nagging suspicion the engine might shut down randomly is not exactly what you need dashing out between showers.

And the Bullet is still sat in the naughty corner till I make time to look at the electrics. Again.
Hi Raymond:

I had a "random shutdown" issue on the redoubtable Lucille :yikes: some years ago and it turned out to be the "screw-in" connection on the RH spark-plug lead at the coil end. In fact, I was on a ride to London (no - the other London) with @lakeview and we had to keep stopping to allow me to screw the danged thing back in. When I got home, I trimmed the end properly as per the excellent instructions provided by 5Twins (see photos below). I made the suggestion to a Forum member at Post 33 and then 5Twins completed the instructions.
Anyhow, I guess the F/O simply hadn't screwed it in far enough and every so often (usually while passing on a highway or pulling out into traffic...:wtf::cussing:) that cylinder would drop out and often, the engine would stall.

I'm sure you've checked this, but given that wet weather makes it worse, it might bear a look once again at each end of each of the two high-voltage leads.

HT Lead Prep_5Twins.jpg HT_Lead Prep-2_5Twins.jpg

Pete

Last edited:
Good place to check, Pete - will take a look. My mate Elliot has suggested going over the low tension wiring ignition switch-kill switch-coil-Boyer box to make sure all connections are good and sound. The theory being that a voltage glitch makes Boyer shut down. He's coming over early Sept - dab hand with a multimeter and a lot more electrical experience that me.

Good place to check, Pete - will take a look. My mate Elliot has suggested going over the low tension wiring ignition switch-kill switch-coil-Boyer box to make sure all connections are good and sound. The theory being that a voltage glitch makes Boyer shut down. He's coming over early Sept - dab hand with a multimeter and a lot more electrical experience that me.
Good plan - and don't forget the small blob of dielectric silicone "ignition" grease on the inside of each end of the HT leads as per @5twins instructions.

Cheers,

Pete

Well, a little package turned up today. Hmm, not expecting anything. Have ordered a few odd and ends on ebay recently, fex solid fuel tablets for my Mamod steam traction engine, but those turned up yesterday. Oh, and bought some tiny E-clips to fix Mrs' secateurs, but they cannot possibly be here already. I wonder what this can be?

Then I remembered that one of the contributors on the W800 forum - thelonelyones.co.uk - had promised me a set of chain adjusters. We discussed the chain adjusters a while ago and Alex said he would send me a set. Offered to pay, but he said, 'Nah, just give a donation to a charity.'

PICT0768.JPG

Strong alloy, well made, fraction of weight of originals. Will fit 'em next time I adjust the chain. Or sooner if I get bored.

Aren't people nice?

Then I remembered that one of the contributors on the W800 forum - thelonelyones.co.uk - had promised me a set of chain adjusters.

That really was very nice of them! I went on the site and was going to poke around a bit, I saw some fella named Raymond on there, under the show us your bike thread. You have to join the forum to see anything……..hmmm….gonna have to circle back to that one, I’ve book marked it. Looks like a good forum. 😉

. . . You have to join the forum to see anything . . .
Yes, it used to be public view but unfortunately the founder had to make it private after a few unwelcome visitors and attempted scams. They say the internet is the new Wild West.

It's a small forum, not a huge amount of activity, but loads of info on W650, W800 and assorted Royal Enfields. Has been called the politest place on the web.

Back from the shops and washed the Dub again - this is getting to be a habit. Then lubed the chain. If I had been about it wiv spanners - wrenches to our N American friends? - I would have fitted the new alloy chain adjusters.

PICT0774.JPG

Nine years of use, abuse, maintenance, occasional cleaning, I guess Polly shows her age? Just over 36,000 miles.

Back from the shops and washed the Dub again - this is getting to be a habit. Then lubed the chain. If I had been about it wiv spanners - wrenches to our N American friends? - I would have fitted the new alloy chain adjusters.

View attachment 250531

Nine years of use, abuse, maintenance, occasional cleaning, I guess Polly shows her age? Just over 36,000 miles.
She looks good to me!

View attachment 250531

In the picture, it looks like it’s holding up very well. What is your opinion of the build quality as far as resistance to corrosion? It seems to be a darn good bike. Yes?

In the picture, it looks like it’s holding up very well. What is your opinion of the build quality as far as resistance to corrosion? It seems to be a darn good bike. Yes?
It's a well-made bike, up to the best of Japanese quality. Kawasaki has always been a quality brand.

Before the bike turned a wheel - it was delivered in February and the council was still applying salt to the roads - I took the mudguards off to paint under them with RustBuster. Did the same to the new front guard I bought for Miss November. With the treatment applied to brand new parts, it's still holding up and there's no rust in those areas. However, the more inaccessible parts of frame and swingarm are starting to get rusty. The stands are really rusty with almost no paint left on the centre stand now. Suppose I oughta take it off and 'restore' it?

Last Winter I kept the Kawasaki on the road and that can hardly have helped.

The black engine paint is looking sorry in places, especially the fins. And the wheel rims are losing paint, correction, the front rim is losing paint - hundreds of tiny white spots showing through, must be the undercoat. The rear rim is still perfect when I wipe off some of the chain oil splatter to take a look.

The tank and side-panels are still pretty. Just a couple small chips on the tank - gravel flung up by vehicles.

Don't want to tempt fate but mechanically it's been 100% reliable.

The stands are really rusty with almost no paint left on the centre stand now. Suppose I oughta take it off and 'restore' it?

Hi Raymond:

I certainly would urge you to get that stand off the bike and sort it out because getting a new stand, if that one is too damaged by rust, could be difficult given that the W800 is not a common model (at least it sure isn't here in Canada). My recommendation would be to have it fully sandblasted and powdercoated instead of just painting it. Powdercoating won't be costly and yet it will result in a nearly indestructable paint job on an important component(s) which are quite vulnerable to stone and abrasion damage.

As many will know, powdercoating is an electrolytically applied paint process followed by heat-treatment at high temperatures (typically 300-400 deg. F). Most, home powdercoaters have an old kitchen oven in their workshops for this purpose - unless they are bachelors - or wish to be :lmao:.

In the old days, powdercoating was typically available in black - only - and had a rather dull finish, but now, a wide range of paint colours and finishes (flat, matt, eggshell, gloss) are available as heat-treated powder coats, and they look pretty darned good IMO. In fact, one guy in my vintage bike club had the tank, headlight bucket and fenders powdercoated in a fetching shade of gloss electric blue and the sidecovers done in gloss black on his 1965 Triumph and it looks superb (at least 95% as good as a traditional paint job) at a cost for all those parts of only $400 CAD - or about $11.58 USD at the present rate of exchange. While it isn't as snazzy looking as a proper paint job by @Jim - he buffed it and it is okey dokey for a daily rider.

You could set-up your own home powdercoating rig - Eastwood has several nice units, and they sell the powders as well, but for just a few parts, I would job it out to a professional....and that would save you having to get an old oven, or the cost of a divorce.

Cheers and keep us posted!

Pete

Hi Raymond:

I certainly would urge you to get that stand off the bike and sort it out because getting a new stand, if that one is too damaged by rust, could be difficult given that the W800 is not a common model (at least it sure isn't here in Canada). My recommendation would be to have it fully sandblasted and powdercoated instead of just painting it. Powdercoating won't be costly and yet it will result in a nearly indestructable paint job on an important component(s) which are quite vulnerable to stone and abrasion damage.

As many will know, powdercoating is an electrolytically applied paint process followed by heat-treatment at high temperatures (typically 300-400 deg. F). Most, home powdercoaters have an old kitchen oven in their workshops for this purpose - unless they are bachelors - or wish to be :lmao:.

In the old days, powdercoating was typically available in black - only - and had a rather dull finish, but now, a wide range of paint colours and finishes (flat, matt, eggshell, gloss) are available as heat-treated powder coats, and they look pretty darned good IMO. In fact, one guy in my vintage bike club had the tank, headlight bucket and fenders powdercoated in a fetching shade of gloss electric blue and the sidecovers done in gloss black on his 1965 Triumph and it looks superb (at least 95% as good as a traditional paint job) at a cost for all those parts of only $400 CAD - or about $11.58 USD at the present rate of exchange. While it isn't as snazzy looking as a proper paint job by @Jim - he buffed it and it is okey dokey for a daily rider.

You could set-up your own home powdercoating rig - Eastwood has several nice units, and they sell the powders as well, but for just a few parts, I would job it out to a professional....and that would save you having to get an old oven, or the cost of a divorce.

Cheers and keep us posted!

Pete
I get most of my bike bits powder coated. A bit pricey compare to paint but as @MaxPete says, very durable. I have a local guy that does my stuff out of a retired chicken shack.

Powder is more durable than paint, but it’s not indestructible. Since the climate here is favorable, I mostly prefer being able to do rattle can touch-ups. That’s easiest to do on a rattle can paint job.
Years ago, I had antique metal chairs powder coated for my front porch in Georgia. While it proved a very durable finish, those chairs were not impervious to rusting. They were stripped and prepped by professionals prior to the process.
Yes, I like powder, but….

Powder is more durable than paint, but it’s not indestructible. Since the climate here is favorable, I mostly prefer being able to do rattle can touch-ups. That’s easiest to do on a rattle can paint job.
Years ago, I had antique metal chairs powder coated for my front porch in Georgia. While it proved a very durable finish, those chairs were not impervious to rusting. They were stripped and prepped by professionals prior to the process.
Yes, I like powder, but….

Yes, yes Marty - I did say nearly indestructible.

Back