Kick start anchor

Redman2932

‘77 Cafe Project
Reaction score
Well took the side cover off on this new project to see what we had. So far looks nice but this kick start spring anchor is gone! Spring still rests on back wall of case. Oil has been changed by me. Sump has been dropped and no chunks. All gears look good and can’t find the piece. Guess is it has been this way for some time. Send it?

Attachments

• IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5260.jpeg
    IMG_5260.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 34
I would guess it'll be OK running it like that.
My only concern would be the spring pulling itself down past the bit it's resting on.

I would guess it'll be OK running it like that.
My only concern would be the spring pulling itself down past the bit it's resting on.
I know me too. Thought about drilling and tapping a 10-24 and loctite a cap screw. But it’s so close to where the case comes together. Being aluminum that makes me nervous too. Wouldn’t be much side wall after tapping.

Well, on the bright side, if the spring ever lets go... you'll know immediately, 'cause the kicker will flop down instead of returning. Just a matter of killing the bike immediately if it happens.

After some looking and measuring… I’m gonna roll with a 12-24 cap screw with 1-1/2 of thread length. Use a jam nut no thicker than .250. This will allow me to drill and tap 1” deep in case and not hit case bolt. If my machinist math is correct I will have .175” to accommodate the .125” spring dia. And hook the spring over. 🤞🏻

Back