Kinda new member.

jeffygonewild

Airbrush Artist.
Reaction score
the pictures below are the wiring diagram i used and the regulator/rec wiring colors. the bike is a 1977 i dont know if this is the right wiring diagram? and if i can use a combined reg/rec. would it be easier just putting a capasitor installed and going kick only? also would anyone have simple wiring diagram for a point setup? for either kick only or elec/start?
so my problem is i burnt up the reg/rec does anyone have any advice ?
the black ive got grounded{frame and battery }
the 3 white obviously to alt/stator wires.
green to brush assembly.
thicker brown i treated as the red{hot} to igniton switch/fuze/battery
thin brown wire to ignition switch/fuzes/and distributed to power option as on wiring diagram.

addition info im confused on.{ the ALT/STATOR} wires the last owner had them spliced.
i dont have photos but they are as following
3Brown wires-going too 3 white{guessing for Reg/Rec
1brown wire-going to a light blue? {guessing for neutral light?}
1Green -going to green { guessing brush assembly?}
1Black-going to a dark blue{guessing Black ground? for brush assemly?

thanks all ! ive been following this forum for about 2 years and just made an account not to long ago. im goin to be on here for a while haha. love these bikes.

IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

Welcome jeffygonewild,

There are 2 types of SS combined Reg/Rectifiers. One for the factory Electronic ignition, (A Type), and another for a points model, (B type) and the factory points model bikes had a separate Regulator and Rectifier.

The A type, (factory Electronic ignition, TCI), SS Reg/Rect cannot be used on a B Type Points models), unless there is some wiring changes to the brushes and isolate the Ground wire on the Stater

Here is a thread for the Points model SS Reg/Rect
http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/

Points model SS combined Reg/Rect should have 7 wires where some makes have the regulator and rectifier part of the unit separated so it can plug straight into the separate couplings on the factory loom

Caution is needed as different SS combined Reg/Rect's have different wiring so it would be best to identify the Make of your SS Reg/Rect and try to find a wiring diagram for it. Meaning to identify the wires on the Reg/Rect and where they go.

The wiring in your pic looks to be the same as the first post in the link i gave.
NOTE; need to verify the make of the SS Reg/Rect
Black and green to the brushes,
3 white to 3 white
Red from main power
Brown from ignition switch

Last edited:
Back