License plate/tail light bracket.

strungxout

Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm finally in the stage of my build where its time to hang a license plate and tail light. I've been racking my brain about how I'm going to weld on tabs to bolt them to and still have enough room to avoid the chain slap... And I can't mount it on the opposite side because I rigged up a turnbuckle system for my rear caliper and there isn't any room. Then I realized that somebody out there has to make a bracket for hardtails with no rear bumper. Anybody ever see one, or have any ideas for me. I know somebody out there has had this problem. Thanks guys.

Alot of people just run a sidemount plate/brake light. Its usually mounted to the axle nut Either side.

Ebay has got a ton of them on the cheap...

Check out Accufast2d. Guy makes good stuff cheap. He made my seat pan, too.

Attachments

• rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 260
Lowbrow customs has some really cool weld on and bolt on plate/light combos.

I saw those, but the thing is I already went out and got a trailer light because it had the clear window at the bottom to light up the plate... cops around here are dicks about that. Basically I need something that I can rig my light up to and I can't seem to find just a bracket.

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if this brake-light/plate mount can actually work with a XS650 I have a 1975, but this one light is apparently for a Harley, how would one wire this thing up and how complex is it? ( I know mechanical stuff, electrical, not much :0 )

here are the photos

31csaJwBmtL._SX355_.jpg
31YLisKTIvL._SX355_.jpg

Attachments

• 31csaJwBmtL._SX355_.jpg
    31csaJwBmtL._SX355_.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 10
I think the correct term is Brake/Tail light combined.

3 wires,
1; Ground/Earth, to B (Black), wire.
2; Tail light, Running light, To L, (blue), wire.
3; Brake light, to Y (yellow), wire.

Someone else may know but if not, you will need to hook them up and work out which wire from the Harly light goes to those 3 XS wires.
NOTE: Do a visual on the new unit to check the Black wire is actually the ground for the light

Hi Megatron,
do like Skull sez about identifying the aftermarket light's wiring.
I've recently bought an LED stop/tail light that had a red wire to the stop light LEDs, a black wire to the running light LEDs and a white wire to ground.
But nothing is certain, so check 'em out.
Also, rubber-mount the thing.
Layer it up like a liquorice allsort:- fender to bracket and bracket to plate:-
(Bolt-head/plan washer/rubber washer/BRACKET/rubber washer/FENDER/rubber washer/plain washer/Nylok nut)
Bolt the light bracket straight onto that ol' paintshaker's rear fender and bolt the plate straight onto the bracket and 100 miles or less down the road you'll be looking at the vibration-fatigued jagged edges of the little tab that used to hold the tail light and the plate onto the bike.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania no longer allows you to vertically mount a regular horizontal license plate.
They now issue vertical plates.
http://www.dmv.pa.gov/VEHICLE-SERVICES/Registration Plates/Standard-Issue-License-Plate/Pages/Vertical-Motorcycle-License-Plates.aspx#.V2XDVVccjoo
Hi jabcb,
I read the whole thing and reckon it's not that the cops can't read sideways but that PENNDOT is now forcing you to buy what is essentially a custom plate.
If you can pick what the plate says $20 is a bargain compared to Saskatchewan's ~$80 custom plate fee.
If you just get the next number on the vertical plate stack, not so much.

Hi jabcb,
I read the whole thing and reckon it's not that the cops can't read sideways but that PENNDOT is now forcing you to buy what is essentially a custom plate.
If you can pick what the plate says $20 is a bargain compared to Saskatchewan's ~$80 custom plate fee.
If you just get the next number on the vertical plate stack, not so much.
I think it was actually illegal to mount license plates vertically. So the vertical plates are actually an accommodation made to benefit bikers.
The police & other agencies are now using computerized license plate readers, so the law may have been intended to make that easier.

Irrespective of the reasoning, following this rule eliminates a reason that a grumpy policeman can use to pull you over.

Hey, so everything wnt pretty much okay, installed the light no problems. Only issue is that, there is this blinking light in the ignition key area, that indicates that your bulb is broken or removed (it started blinking when I removed the original bulb light) I figured it would turn off once I wired the new light on, but still blinking, not a huge issue, but sort of annoying. Any idea why?

Back