Lightning

jussumguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a 81' that I have completely rewired. Everything works fine but I keep getting shocked! Bolts hitting my knees and hands. I have grounded the coils to the engine and it still does it. I'm getting leery about test rides now. Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks Rich

Hi Rich,
gotta be way more than 12V to get through your gloves or your pants. Seems like your coils want to ground themselves via your body rather than via the sparkplugs.
Check for HT leaks from anywhere between the coils and the sparkplugs.

Hey Fred! I finally dialed in my charging system so I'm pretty convinced it's the ignition that's whacking me. It shocked me through the bars and my right knee. I've never had this problem before. Stock tci. Obviously working very well. I'm at a loss...I have ground wires from all components going to a bolt on the frame. Nickle plated frame, no corrosion. I'm stumped

Checked my manual and it doesn't show the coils requiring a ground. The engine seems happy, it starts on the first kick and idles right away. Maybe if I wear leathers and new gloves...

You might try a ground wire from the bars to the frame. Sounds like some odd feedback loop is letting high tension voltage leak to the bars/controls. your body is completing the circuit back to the frame.

Coil looks ok but I'll watch it in the dark
I have a volt gauge on the bars. When I rev the motor it randomly pegs out. I thought it was because it is a swap meet gauge but maybe it sensing the spike ! I'm going to cut into the harness at the tci box and go straight to the engine with its own ground wire. And a wire to the bars. Then I'll have a friend test ride it just in case

Maybe if I wear leathers and new gloves...

leather trollies mmm now theres a picture :laugh:

(trolleys Noun. Underwear, specifically knickers and underpants.Cockney slang ]

Attachments

• sh40m.jpg
    sh40m.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 43
I've got my new grounds on now but I will wait till tomorrow to test ride. I'll need a couple beers first and I want some of those sexy leather shorts

Thinking about this I'd pull the tank again and look carefully where clutch and throttle cables run near the plug wires.

So I rode this bike again the other day and the bastard was shocking me again. I took the tank off and one of the plug wires was wrapped through the frame but more importantly it said Pacard on it, as in Pacard bell! I used some new old stock bulk plug wire from a friend when I put this bike together. So I turned the coil around and rerouted the wires and now I can say it's right with the world. No more angry shocks. Runs better even. Thanks for the help guys!

Posted via Mobile

Back