looking for materials for seat.

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have a seat pan, looking to do the leather myself. what kind of foam to use and where do i get it? how have some of you all done yours? i have searched the web but there is so many choices it makes my eyes cross

i have a seat pan, looking to do the leather myself. what kind of foam to use and where do i get it? how have some of you all done yours? i have searched the web but there is so many choices it makes my eyes cross

Man, i'm doing the exact same thing ..did you buy it from Tandy ? Also try using Yoga mats for padding

also check this out

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590

i guess i am going to call tandy tomorrow to see about leather and rivits. i might go with wonder gel for padding.

hi guys,,, about 3 years ago,,,,, i rebuilt a DR400 trail bike ,,,with a stuffed seat,,,,,,, i purchased a hunk of marine 4" foam from clarke rubber,, along with a patterned 1 1/2 square metre of marine leather... i think all up it cost about 40 bucks,,,, a friends father loaned me an electric 5/8" stapler and a couple of hundred staples as well ,,,it was not perfect but it did look great,,,, then i sold the dr400 on ebay... ,,and got my price... regards oldbiker

you need closed cell foam as already mentioned like used in boat seats. yoga mats work for thin seats. If you are going to put a design in the seat you need "veg-tanned" leather sometimes referred as tooling leather. also depending on what type of seat you are doing you will need 6/7oz (leather thickness) for top and thinner for sides if wet wrapping. or 6/7 for top and bottom if doing a solo seat. Tandy is a good option for materials. if you are riveting the leather on from underneath then you dont need the tandy rivets just aluminum rivets found anywhere. You'll also need lace or stitching thread, needles, dye and sealer.

you need closed cell foam as already mentioned like used in boat seats. yoga mats work for thin seats. If you are going to put a design in the seat you need "veg-tanned" leather sometimes referred as tooling leather. also depending on what type of seat you are doing you will need 6/7oz (leather thickness) for top and thinner for sides if wet wrapping. or 6/7 for top and bottom if doing a solo seat. Tandy is a good option for materials. if you are riveting the leather on from underneath then you dont need the tandy rivets just aluminum rivets found anywhere. You'll also need lace or stitching thread, needles, dye and sealer.

I bought their black dye and sealer and a 20 dollar piece of raw leather. They only sell treated colored leather by the roll..so dont walk in their thinking you can buy it in pieces..the rolls go for 300+ dollars

Back