Lower tapered bearing removal

jchrisk1

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my lower bearing off to repack it and it's really stuck on there. I've damaged the seal now and I have to get it off to replace that. Is there an easy way?
I'm thinking about driving a small screwdriver or chisel between it and the lower tree, but worried about damaging the inner race. It looks like about an 1/8th inch of race below the bearing, so I'm thinking it won't matter if it gets a little chewed up in the process.
Any thoughts or you should have's? Or is it not coming off without damage to the bearing?

Get a bearing puller that has tapered halfs which slide under the bearing when the bolts are tightened. Then you can use the std puller. Don't know the technical name for the puller set but you can get the complete set through Harbor Frt. Works great. I can post a picture later if no one else chimes in. Heres the link.
www.harborfreight.com/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.htm

I got it. I put some heat to it and just tapped a chisel all around it and got it up enough to cut the seal off then used a drift to tap it off. Thanks for the link to the tool. I will be buying one of those in the near future.

Back