Lowering front forks

krob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 79 special and I want to lower the front end. Either two or three inches, and my question is, how much performance is lost by getting a lowering spacer from HHB or some other manufacture?

Esthetically speaking, I could raise the tubes in the trees and put clip-ons above the top tree and it would work. It wouldn't look the best, but if I am loosing a lot of performance by lowering the fork itself, Im not sure I want to go that route. Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't necessarily say your losing performance by installing the lowering spacers from HHB, but you are losing the amount of travel you get in your forks. There is no performance loss because all of the valving in the forks are still lined up as they would be stock. Same goes for if you decide to raise the upper forks in the top trees up to achieve your desired stance, your losing the amount of travel in your forks, not any performance.

I have HHB's 2" reduction spacers on my 79 Special. It lowered the front quite a bit. A little too much in my opinion. I imagine a 3" drop would be pretty radical.
Here is a pic of mine with the 2" lowered front end and the Bonneville shocks on the rear.
C1D8A3F5-D6E6-4421-8C21-2F80CE38FF51_zpst9kborzi.jpg

You can't raise the tubes in the trees any more than about 1/2" or the fork lowers will slam into the bottom tree upon full fork compression.

I think Jim's pic is a little deceiving. I think the tie down straps are compressing his forks even more. The stock front end has about 6" of travel. He doesn't look to have 4" left.

I didnt even think of that 5twins, but it is pretty obvious now that you say that. Guess I am going to get a lowering spacer. not entirely sure how much drop yet.

Bike looks good figure8. What kind of fender is that?

I think Jim's pic is a little deceiving. I think the tie down straps are compressing his forks even more. The stock front end has about 6" of travel. He doesn't look to have 4" left.
Fair enough 5twins. Here is another picture of the bike on the side stand:
E5E7A462-00C9-4F17-B0A4-15F5F451E4A9_zps83u7nzeq.jpg

32BB7F61-2959-4F9D-AF11-0046A8C58B57_zpsagrpwqoy.jpg

I think if I had to do it over again I'd just lower them 1".

Back